What's new

Canned Goo. It isn't bad at ALL.

Recently I have been dealing with some neurological issues that affected my right hand and arm. After months of dealing with alternating pain and numbness in that area, I decided to go back to using Edge gel shaving cream like I used to do when I shaved with cartridge razors. I think all of that swirling with a brush aggravated my condition. My hand and arm, have for the most part, returned to normal. I am getting fine shaves with the Goo too. I am not urging everyone to give up their badgers and shave soap but if you prefer using the canned Goo, no reason to give it up. I do have some soaps and brushes that I really like and I plan on slowly working them back into rotation, but I may never be able to go back to them full time. It is ok though because the Goo works just fine.

A friend of mine bought a DE razor on my recommendation several months ago, but said he'll keep using Edge gel. I hadn't used it in over twenty years so I got a can just to see what I think of it now.

It does the job, for sure. Only the prep process is different, but the shave is surprisingly good.

I use soap, cream, gel and sometimes hotel lotion or conditioner.
I think in terms of how they work is also how I’ve listed them. I probably use cream the most these days as I seem to always be in a hurry but on the weekends I definitely grab the soap and brush.

I'd say Cremo is one of the best if you really would need to use something other than creams or shaving soaps.
Another great option is also King of Shaves gel which is made in the UK. It's incredibly slick!
I sometimes use it when I'm traveling and it works great. I buy it on Amazon!

I haven't used canned shaving cream for a number of years, but I have used a number of brushless creams and gels that work quite well for me. Even "traditional" shave creams in a tube work well without a brush; I have hand-applied Palmolive shave cream with good results.

I don’t read a whole lot about people here worrying about the costs anymore. When I first joined this group that’s what it was all about that, and getting a better shave, now it’s all about accumulating more and more stuff.
Well I watch money as it is how I was raised by parents who experienced DEPRESSION. Frugal, and I shop 99 Cent Store for deals. If I had money tree, money could be picked as needed, not earned.

Had good friend who was business owner in LA, he did support work for TV, RADIO, and Motion Picture industry. I met him about 20 years ago we were both retired. Guy had Milllions in Bank, Stocks, and Bonds. One day I am in 99 Cent Store, who do I run into Mr. and Mrs S., they were hoping for stuff. Why very frugal people.

Why pay 7 bucks for item, when you can purchase for 99 cent +tax?

Last edited:
I got some Italian Prep shaving cream in the can on sale mainly to get over the free shipping limit on an order. It's mostly used for cleaning up the neckline after haircuts or a quick shave. Convenient, works well, decent herbal scent with eucalyptus.

I've been using a little of the Jack Black Supreme cream which can be applied by hand like a brushless cream or you can use a brush and lather it up, as well. Save time and works well. Not much smell, reminds me of cold cream.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Nothing wrong with canned goo, I use it when I'm in a hurry, I like Barbasol and the current Proraso white is a close runner up (although that was just after one shave, needs more testing).

Use what you like and what you enjoy. You'll always find ppl who will be mad/upset about everything. And the world will keep spinning.

Use what works for you. I wouldn't use a gel but that's my choice.

My big beef with gel products was that they were notorious for clogging multi-blade carts. That's obviously not an issue with a DE razor. I occasionally use Barbasol, Cremo or Proraso canned cream.

I will say the moisturizing properties of a soap or cream is a big plus for me.

I used a travel sized can of Gillette foam a few weeks ago since it was lying around and I wanted to use it up. The trick was to leave the foam on my face for a few minutes to soften the whiskers and it resulted in a pretty smooth shave, even with a straight! It wasn't the slickest but wasn't bone dry either, I made sure to hydrate it by flicking some water on periodically. Definitely useable in a pinch or when travelling.
The smell of Gillette's red foam is awful (to me) though 😱

Top Bottom