What's new

Canned Foam Life Span

In the Shaving Cream Longevity thread, someone mentioned using Barbasol (tm) from a 20 year old can. The can of Gillette Foamy I used this morning is only going on eight years old, but I'm thinking it's going bad. It's a small-ish can, larger than travel size but smaller than a regular size can. I bought it for the grand price of $2.39 at a convenience story when an emergency caught me away from home and I needed a razor and shaving cream.

This morning I used it for the nostalgia. But I noticed the lather was a little thin, even though the can had ample weight, and it smelled a little off. Imagine tap water that's been in a canteen a few weeks. It wasn't terrible, so I shaved with it, anyway, and I have a newer travel-size Gillette Foamy for a comparison. But it brings up the issue of lifespan of canned foam.

Maybe it's not a fair question. I once had a can of Barbasol (tm) that smelled that way, only stronger, right from the get-go. I discarded it and bought another. It shouldn't vary from batch to batch, but could it?

Just curious about it.

I would expect that it has something to do with the propellant. Slight leakage, or scent fouling with age?

don't expect canned foams (or youth!) to last forever.
but, just curious, you dutifully gave Barbasol the (tm) appendage, but not Gillette?

barbasol foam filarmonica canoe february 10 2016.jpg

I needed to use some canned goo recently, I think to compare it to a soap or cream for my son's benefit. The can of Edge that was probably 5 years old and it definitely did not lather like I remember nor smell like I remember. On that basis I am going to conclude that canned foamin' goo does not last forever. Probably far less than a tub of soap or cream.

I am going to conclude that canned foamin' goo does not last forever. Probably far less than a tub of soap or cream.
It is in a pressurised can so providing it is kept in a cool place, there is a good chance it will last a few years. Beyond 5 years is a lottery. I have some Gillette foam over 5 years old and it is okay; I am thinking of putting it in the bin though because it is never going to be in the Dopp kit.

Top Bottom