What's new

Candidates to minimize cutting

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are a few fairly universally agreed upon realities, which is often a rarity for us on the forum. Blades don't cause weepers, poor technique does. Some razors are good with just about any blade and some are fussy about which blade you load.

Using the same equipment for a while is good advice when you're working on technique because you know where any improvement is coming from. But I would not be afraid to give each razor a try - you might find that one currently works better for you - just don't keep switching.

I would try and use blades more in the middle of the sharpness range. I would avoid Feathers as they can be very unforgiving of questionable technique.

About that technique: usually it's bad razor angle or too much pressure, and it's unfortunately pretty easy to use both. Razor angle takes a little practice to perfect, but less pressure is available to you immediately. If you're not dropping the razor in the sink you've got enough pressure.

I'd stick with WTG passes until weepers were unusual. When you've stopped donating so much blood try XTG (maybe it works on most of your face, so use it there). Then add ATG. Or do them all now, there are no rules. But do be nice to yourself.

We all went through this at the beginning of the journey - you'll figure it out. Hang in there and enjoy your shaves.

There are a few fairly universally agreed upon realities, which is often a rarity for us on the forum. Blades don't cause weepers, poor technique does. Some razors are good with just about any blade and some are fussy about which blade you load.

Using the same equipment for a while is good advice when you're working on technique because you know where any improvement is coming from. But I would not be afraid to give each razor a try - you might find that one currently works better for you - just don't keep switching.

I would try and use blades more in the middle of the sharpness range. I would avoid Feathers as they can be very unforgiving of questionable technique.

About that technique: usually it's bad razor angle or too much pressure, and it's unfortunately pretty easy to use both. Razor angle takes a little practice to perfect, but less pressure is available to you immediately. If you're not dropping the razor in the sink you've got enough pressure.

I'd stick with WTG passes until weepers were unusual. When you've stopped donating so much blood try XTG (maybe it works on most of your face, so use it there). Then add ATG. Or do them all now, there are no rules. But do be nice to yourself.

We all went through this at the beginning of the journey - you'll figure it out. Hang in there and enjoy your shaves.
Well said. There is a learning curve, no way around it. Stick with it & you’ll get better!

When you’re ready to try different blades send me a PM. I’ll send you some blades many consider good blades so you can begin learning the difference blades make.

It’s a journey, enjoy!

I agree with everything except certain blades or level of quality control of said blades can cause them to be more prone to handing out weepers

Agree with others about technique. However, I will say that Voskhod have been by far the smoothest razor blade that I have used.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I started wet shaving a month ago now, I had weepers fairly often... it was technique, of course, but it isn't exactly that simple. I almost never had weepers with the Gillette Fusion Power cartridges because they are wide enough that they would just glide over several little bumps I have on my face.

Watching some of the YouTube shavers, many of them have zero bumps on their faces.. piece of cake. I had to learn to be conscious of my bumps (not huge moles... just little rises in my skin.... I'm not going to post photos ;) ). As long as I pay attention, that no longer happens. I do get an occasional weeper on my chin if I'm not careful, but nothing significant

So, in addition to mapping the hair growth on my face... I have to map out those bumps. <eg>

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Math test: Suppose a person has 5 types of razors, 5 types of blades, 5 types of soaps, and 5 types of aftershave. How many combinations are there? If a person shaves every day, how many years would it take to try each combination for 30 days?
51 years and 4 months ± a few days depending on the date that you started.

If money is no object a Feather AS-D2 is probably the safest DE razor you can get, so long as you use a sensible blade; Feather, BIC, Gillette, Astra, Wilkinson Sword, etc.

The blades with generally poor reviews and comments on here are probably best avoided; Derby, Treet, etc. Personally I wouldn't touch a Kai blade ever again.

I am going to say this: Get a Henson. That's it. You will never cut yourself. Watch the angle for the best shave and go. That's it. You can put the sharpest blade in it forget it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm looking for blades that might be good for minimizing cutting, because in my past experiences with DE shaving, I've cut myself a lot. Google searches on "beginner," and "sensitive skin " have turned up the following candidates: Muhle, Derby Extra, Polsilver, Shark, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Lord, Parker, Wilkinson Sword and Merkur MK-911.

Any thoughts on these blades and on any other blades? Another factor to consider is availability. I'm in New York City, but expect that I'd have to order these blades online. Price is not a consideration.

I would use these blades in a Parker Variant, Rockwell 2C and a Merkur 38C razor.
The best blade I have found for minimizing nicks is a straight razor. I tolerated nicks on my face for years until the cartridge razors came about. When I went back to DE’s, the nicks came back with them. After I started using straight razors the nicking and irritation went away.

Top Bottom