What's new

Candidates to minimize cutting

I'm looking for blades that might be good for minimizing cutting, because in my past experiences with DE shaving, I've cut myself a lot. Google searches on "beginner," and "sensitive skin " have turned up the following candidates: Muhle, Derby Extra, Polsilver, Shark, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Lord, Parker, Wilkinson Sword and Merkur MK-911.

Any thoughts on these blades and on any other blades? Another factor to consider is availability. I'm in New York City, but expect that I'd have to order these blades online. Price is not a consideration.

I would use these blades in a Parker Variant, Rockwell 2C and a Merkur 38C razor.

Frequent nicks and cuts point more into the direction of technique than hardware.
I would reduce complexity as much as possible to focus on technique and better assess the progress that you will make.

Pick only one razor and maximum 2 (better only 1) blade for the first few weeks.

I believe the Rockwell and the Merkur are pretty mild so a sharper yet smooth blade will give you the best results.

From the ones in your post I would pick either the Gillette Silver Blue or Platinum (2 versions available) and the Wilkinson Sword if you want a 2nd choice.

If you're regularly cutting yourself while shaving, you may want to reevaluate your technique. Alternatively, you may want to consider a different (less aggressive) razor. While some blades are reputed to be sharper (and thus more likely to lead to an occasional cut or nick), they tend to be more the exception than the rule.

That said, some blades worth considering would be Astra SP, Lord Platinum, and Gillette Platinum.

I suppose my inquiry is still hypothetical. I got the Parker Variant about three weeks ago. Advice on this forum seems to be to stick with one razor and one model blade for 30 shaves. Following that advice, I've been using ONLY the Parker Variant on setting one, with Wilkinson Sword blades. I've shaved 15 times with this combination. The last two shaves have been blood-freeI expect to continue using the Parker Variant with Wilkinson Sword blades for another 15 shaves.

However, because of RAD, I got Merkur 38C and Rockwell 2C razors one or two weeks ago. I'm eager to try them out. I expect to start with the blades we're discussing in a few weeks.

I suppose my inquiry is still hypothetical. I got the Parker Variant about three weeks ago. Advice on this forum seems to be to stick with one razor and one model blade for 30 shaves. Following that advice, I've been using ONLY the Parker Variant on setting one, with Wilkinson Sword blades. I've shaved 15 times with this combination. The last two shaves have been blood-freeI expect to continue using the Parker Variant with Wilkinson Sword blades for another 15 shaves.

However, because of RAD, I got Merkur 38C and Rockwell 2C razors one or two weeks ago. I'm eager to try them out. I expect to start with the blades we're discussing in a few weeks.
My blade suggestions stand but with you using the Wilkinson Sword this would then also be the first blade for the new razors :thumbsup:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Technique is the most important thing when starting out stick to one setup for a while whilst you figure it out. Use minimal pressure and limit yourself to one or two passes to begin with. It is not necessary to get a BBS every shave but to maximise cutting efficiency and minimise irritation try mapping the direction of growth of your beard and make notes on your shaving technique and how you felt and what the finish was like, you are bound not to remember stuff at first but having notes will make it easier to compare results

It's good advice to stick with the same setup while getting started with DE shaving. Try a mid-sharp blade such as Rapira Platinum Lux, Gillette Platinum, German Personna. There are many other blades that would work well, though. IMHO, it's better to avoid duller blades like Derby (often suggested for beginners). If the blade is dull, that leads to problems where people apply too much pressure trying to get a close shave.

Once you get going, you can get a blade sampler and try several different blades from it to find a favorite.

I endured around a decade of bloody, irritating shaves. 50 days after finding this forum, I’m getting 3 pass DFS to %95 BBS shaves with any of half a dozen blades in my 109 Black Beauty. Lather, angle and less pressure are the keys to the universe! Oh, and facial hair mapping is probably even more important. Seems basic but it took me a couple of weeks to figure this out. Best of luck and great sessions to come!

Eventually, you will find a blade and razor combination that works as well as the first combination would have worked had you stuck with it. Most likely, this combination will include an ARKO shave stick.

Math test: Suppose a person has 5 types of razors, 5 types of blades, 5 types of soaps, and 5 types of aftershave. How many combinations are there? If a person shaves every day, how many years would it take to try each combination for 30 days?

+1 and +2 I am new to DE shaving just like you. I did research on blades using reviews and YT. What I found was that the less sharp blades such as the Derby also have less shaves on them in terms of mileage.

My razor came with Gillette blades and like the experienced users state I stick with that for now. In terms of sharpness these blades are 4/5 or 5/5 and with careful attention to technique gets me to BBS without bloodshed and irritation.

I am definitely with the consensus, focus on technique first. Good prep, slick lather, proper razor angle and, especially, NO pressure are critical for me!

That said, I also find that the combination of a ‘mild/moderate’ razor plus a sharp blade provides optimal results. Others certainly have different opinions, so it is great to have choices!:popc::popc:

I'm sure some here are more than tired of hearing about how I use vintage blades exclusively. I've kept a daily shaving log since I began wet shaving in 2012. It's AA habit from my running days. I must say one of the biggest differences in using them is the almost complete absence of blood. Weepers. I write down everything. When I was using modern I could count on a deeper or two a couple of times a week. Now 80, or more days stray without any sign of blood is not unusual. After a shave I wipe my face with a wet, white washcloth. Any blood would show. It's not a feasible alternative for most but I managed the change and its been nothing but god in every way.

Math test: Suppose a person has 5 types of razors, 5 types of blades, 5 types of soaps, and 5 types of aftershave. How many combinations are there? If a person shaves every day, how many years would it take to try each combination for 30 days?
5 * 5 * 5 * 5 = 625 combinations. It would take about 625 / 12 = 52 years to try each combination for 30 days. This is based on each of 12 months being 30 days. That's why this answer is approximate.

I am pretty new to DE shaving also. One of the most important things I have learned is pre-shave prep slickness. I underestimated slickness, but to me it is crucial to a comfortable shave.

I'm sure some here are more than tired of hearing about how I use vintage blades exclusively. I've kept a daily shaving log since I began wet shaving in 2012. It's AA habit from my running days. I must say one of the biggest differences in using them is the almost complete absence of blood. Weepers. I write down everything. When I was using modern I could count on a deeper or two a couple of times a week. Now 80, or more days stray without any sign of blood is not unusual. After a shave I wipe my face with a wet, white washcloth. Any blood would show. It's not a feasible alternative for most but I managed the change and its been nothing but god in every way.
Wow! I wasn’t paying much attention to grammar and spelling when I typed that one, was I. I did go to elementary school and all the rest, I promise. Of course it was a one room schoolhouse on the prairie back then but they did give me my bonafides when I graduated.

Top Bottom