What's new

Candela anyone?

Anybody still enjoy a candela or jade cigar. I remember loving the taste and aroma of quality green cigars back in the late 70s / early 80s. Then they just disappeared from cigar shops all together. A somewhat recent article in Cigar Aficionado cited a resurgence in candelas but I've not seen any in the shops I've been to. Curious to hear anyone's experience with the once immensely popular smokes.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Anybody still enjoy a candela or jade cigar. I remember loving the taste and aroma of quality green cigars back in the late 70s / early 80s. Then they just disappeared from cigar shops all together. A somewhat recent article in Cigar Aficionado cited a resurgence in candelas but I've not seen any in the shops I've been to. Curious to hear anyone's experience with the once immensely popular smokes.

The AF 858 claro is an excellent breakfast cigar with morning coffee. Light, mild, and slightly sweet in disposition. I keep plenty of them, and their SG and Maduro stablemates, in my cabinet as daily smokers. I'm not reaching for a $15-20 stick every time. All the 858s smoke above their price point, the SG in particular.

But I would start with a fiver before determining if these are right for you.

The claro/candela became an extremely popular cigar type in the late 1960s, and has persisted along ever since.

Thanks, gents! I am familiar with the Arturo Fuente 8-5-8s (in natural and in a maduro wrapper) but was not aware that they offered this fine smoke in a candela option. Not even sure I would still like the taste of a candela at this point, but was was watching a M*A*S*H episode recently and noted Lt.Col. Henry Blake smoking a nice GREEN cigar and it brought back some fond memories and I wondered if such cigars were even still available on the market.

Just checked,... Thompson Cigars has the Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva 8-5-8 Candela Lonsdales! A bundle of 5 of these green beauties goes for $27.50 is looking good! The 8-5-8 Flor Fina boxes themselves are always special too!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just checked,... Thompson Cigars has the Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva 8-5-8 Candela Lonsdales! A bundle of 5 of these green beauties goes for $27.50 is looking good! The 8-5-8 Flor Fina boxes themselves are always special too!

There is a fiver of 858 claros on cigarauctioneer right now at $20. But it ends in under 90 minutes.

Now I have committed to a bundle of KFC Swamp Thangs. Mixing it up for science. 😁
A coworker and I have been exchanging tins of cigars and have had the Swamp Thangs around. Both of us revisited them and remarked that we surprised how good they were and how much we both like them. I am actually enjoying the KFC line over all.

A coworker and I have been exchanging tins of cigars and have had the Swamp Thangs around. Both of us revisited them and remarked that we surprised how good they were and how much we both like them. I am actually enjoying the KFC line over all.
They mix it up for me. I'm a fan of dark fired pipe weed so those are a happy medium. Fat Molly may be my favorite. The candela mix it up even more.

Top Bottom