What's new

Canadian World War 2 Tech? Help In ID Appreciated!

I just picked up this Canadian Tech head and half a handle? Fair price and I like low hanging fruit as you know.
Vintage 1932 Gillette Safety Razor - Made In Canada , Part Of Handle Missing | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225151877580

Could this be this?
proxy.php

Or this?
proxy.php

Or is it an English 2 piece handle with a Canadian head? The knurling looks similar. Did Canadian 2 piece handles have the English swirled knurling too?
proxy.php

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance Gentlemen.

Last edited:
I think you are correct, though a variety of handles were used. Up until around 1945 or so, the heads have the triangular slots. After this, the slots were changed to an oval shape.

The date 1932 is in reference to the Canadian patent.

The standard handle threading is #10-32. Modern handles with the M5 x 0.8 threading will generally be compatible, though not an exact match.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Yours is a post war, oval hole.

Great mild shaver! IMO, the mildest of older all-brass Techs.

If I'm half awake, or want something to slash across my face with abandon, that's the one I pick up.

Yours is a post war, oval hole.

Great mild shaver! IMO, the mildest of older all-brass Techs.

If I'm half awake, or want something to slash across my face with abandon, that's the one I pick up.
Any idea of the blade gap?

Do the oval Canadian Techs shave efficiently in your experience?

Thanks!

lasta

Blade Biter

Thanks!
Sorry, I don't have the mean's the measure blade gap.

I've posted a sideways view here:

To me it looks like a slightly wider gap, but also a thicker top cap than the US and Uk versions.

Comfortable angle range/cutting window is on the narrow side, but once I get it right, efficient enough for me!

BTW, I'd guess top caps can vary from one day to another, so if you get one with a relatively thin cap, the Canadian Tech definitely has potential to be more efficient.

Thanks!
Techs have approx 0.56mm blade gap. The post-war Techs do shave well if you can carefully control the shaving angle. It becomes easy with practice. If your angle is off, you will not get a very close shave, though. This is not a fault of the razor. It makes it possible to shave quickly when you are half-asleep.

lasta

Blade Biter
BTW, that price is a steal for something that can offer a lifetime of quality shaves.

I'll trade you 3 bags of peanuts for it!

Techs have approx 0.56mm blade gap. The post-war Techs do shave well if you can carefully control the shaving angle. It becomes easy with practice. If your angle is off, you will not get a very close shave, though. This is not a fault of the razor. It makes it possible to shave quickly when you are half-asleep.
Well, half asleep sums up my life experience!:letterk1:

Logically this is my grail razor then.

Thanks for the replies and input Gents as always!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great score. I have a Tech just like that with the complete handle. I think mine is English but I will have to find it to make sure. Great razor as all Techs are IMHO.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Thanks!
Great find! :) Congratulations! :)

The Canadian Post-War Techs are excellent razors. Excellent blade support. Mild efficient + very smooth + nimble & maneuverable + very predictable = an effective razor. Use it STEEP (as KCJ taught us) using appropriate pressure and paired with a Feather, Kai, Perma-Sharp or Personna Israeli Platinum Red (if you have some or can still find any) blade and you will be rewarded with an excellent result. :)

Just my opinion. :)

I have two prewar canadian tech's. This razor is in my top three razors. I bought a second Canadian prewar tech becaise I wanted a prettier one. I have not yet tried a post war canadian tech. I would love to try a raised flat bottom tech. Everytime I find one on an auction site they want about a hundred dollars for it. I just think its still just a tech and at one hundred dollars there is a lot of other razors I could get.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have two prewar canadian tech's. This razor is in my top three razors. I bought a second Canadian prewar tech becaise I wanted a prettier one. I have not yet tried a post war canadian tech. I would love to try a raised flat bottom tech. Everytime I find one on an auction site they want about a hundred dollars for it. I just think its still just a tech and at one hundred dollars there is a lot of other razors I could get.
I love my Canadian Pre-War Tech and prefer it, by a small margin, to my Canadian Post-War Tech.

I just picked up this Canadian Tech head and half a handle? Fair price and I like low hanging fruit as you know.
Vintage 1932 Gillette Safety Razor - Made In Canada , Part Of Handle Missing | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225151877580

Could this be this?
proxy.php

Or this?
proxy.php

Or is it an English 2 piece handle with a Canadian head? The knurling looks similar. Did Canadian 2 piece handles have the English swirled knurling too?
proxy.php

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance Gentlemen.
How does it shave compared yo your other techs?

Top Bottom