What's new

Canadian Roll Call

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Spuds and herring are not an insulting Canadian stereotype. They're just an insulting PEI stereotype.

In any case, I admire @MyOldKentuckyHome and congratulate him on the move. It isn't easy doing what he's done. I bought land on Cape Breton with a view of the Margaree River in 1978 with an eye toward building a small home to which I thought I'd retire by age 60. Well, now I'm 64, there's no house on the Margaree, and in fact I haven't even been to Cape Breton since 2004.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Spuds and herring are not an insulting Canadian stereotype. They're just an insulting PEI stereotype.

I never heard that "spud/herring" thing as any sort of stereotype, insulting or otherwise.

Potatoes and PEI are well connected in the Canadian psyche, but IMHO not insulting. And the "stereotypical" PEI seafood is lobster.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I never heard that "spud/herring" thing as any sort of stereotype, insulting or otherwise.

Potatoes and PEI are well connected in the Canadian psyche, but IMHO not insulting. And the "stereotypical" PEI seafood is lobster.
You never heard of a "herring choker," or a "herrin'"?

Top Bottom