What's new

Canadian Old Type with notched baseplate and top cap

I have a Canadian Old Type "thick cap" that's kind of an odd duck. I know it's uncommon because there's no picture of it on the [MENTION=3442]mr-razor[/MENTION] site, but am wondering if it could be a production error.

The difference between this one and all the others I've seen is that this one has notches in the corners of the baseplate and corresponding tabs on the top cap. Could it be from a Canadian Goodwill production run before the aligning studs were installed and holes drilled in the cap?

The only other place I've seen this head is in a WTB post from [MENTION=72639]tonich[/MENTION]

proxy.php

I've seen a few of those. [MENTION=78315]Roderick[/MENTION] has one as well.

I'm not sure if Gillette called it a Goodwill, but makes perfect sense since it won't take 3-hole blades.

That's interesting! We need a thorough article with pix of all the Goodwill razors in the wiki.

This is the first I've heard of these. In use, do modern blades align more readily?

Gillette Old Type Goodwill hybrid with Probak handle. The ORIGINAL Frankenrazor made by Gillette after they took over the Probak Company.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's interesting! We need a thorough article with pix of all the Goodwill razors in the wiki.

This is the first I've heard of these. In use, do modern blades align more readily?

The 3 holes of a 3 hole blade line up with it perfectly, the tabs on the cap will not allow the cap to sit flush on the blade. There will be space between the cap and blade.

Here is my thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/480770-Canadian-Old-Type-with-a-NEW-regent-handle
I have also seen a version of this same razor with a probak handle (as Maxim D mentioned) :)

I also have this head with a Probak handle but was surprised to see the old style GW head with the Silver Regent handle . Did Gillette make other razors with a Silver Regent handle in their regular models ? The only model I've seen with the Regent handle is the gold Canadian Regent but this is the second silver Regent handle I've seen ,the other one was on a silver LC New made in Canada with no patent #s on the underside of the baseplate .

Glenn

Glenn

I have been searching the Greater Vancouver area all over, Glenn. So far only a baseplate I was able to find.
But I'll find it, sooner or later... :001_smile

But do modern blades align better because of the end tabs vs. a regular OLD without them?
All my regular Old Types have zero alignment issues. I guess the corner tabs would help on an Old Type with worn alignment pins/holes, but on a non-beat up razor, I think they're redundant with respect to alignment.

I wonder how many people filed off the tabs to continue using the older blades.

All my regular Old Types have zero alignment issues. I guess the corner tabs would help on an Old Type with worn alignment pins/holes, but on a non-beat up razor, I think they're redundant with respect to alignment.

I wonder how many people filed off the tabs to continue using the older blades.

With most blades I have to position mine a little before snugging it down, there is a little play.

I doubt they made many that way before going to the diamond shaped posts. I wonder how many used 3 hole blades without removing the tabs!

So does that make this razor the only Goodwill that has alignment pins in the top cap rather than sticking up from the baseplate?
I don't know all the razor Gillette has out there or if this one is actually called a Goodwill.

It was probably easier to modify this razor for the blade change before going to the other Goodwill models...

With most blades I have to position mine a little before snugging it down, there is a little play.
I've never tweaked blade positioning with my Old Type, I just tighten it down like every other razor except my FaTip.

Now you have me interested. I'll check if there's any play in my 3 OTs (a 4th is on the way) and get back to you.

I don't remember how many OLDs I have, 4 or 5, maybe 6, but they all have a little play, more with some blades than others.

Top Bottom