What's new

Canadian Goodwill (Old type) cap

R

romsitsa

Hello,

just noticed that my Canadian Goodwill (Old type with Regent handle) cap doesn't fit any other Gillette handle. I only made a photo of a US New, but it’s the same with every handle I have (British/US New/old ball end, SR, Tech, ABC). All heads accept the Goodwill handle, but no handle accepts the Goodwill head, it gets stuck right at the start.
I have no tools at hand to compare actual thread elevations, but they look a tad different. Is it metric?

CFBA3926-232D-41A3-A24F-99B16FE5030F.jpeg 9E7DF17F-3B35-4078-85C7-66E61E940DAC.jpeg 1AC9F7BA-4413-4068-B105-605F0C77D2F0.jpeg

Adam

I am thinking it might be metric as I know that many of my older Gillettes have a problem swapping handles with newer stuff, however I have not known the English Gillettes to have that problem, but then again, at that time England (and Canada) would have not gone to metric.

R

romsitsa

Tried a modern M5 nut, it doesn't fit. I can't see any damage on the thread, but maybe it was unevenly cut?

Adam

Very odd that an M5 would not fit. I am pretty sure that you have other Canadian Gillettes in your collection. Is this the only one with the problem? I know in the SE world, the early Ever Ready razors used a very odd, no longer made English machine thread standard, but you definitely could see the difference in the diameter of the post.

R

romsitsa

It's currently the only Canadian I have. If you think of Whitworth as the odd English, it also got stuck. Now I tried literally every 32/10, M5 and Withworth thread I have, nothing fits. So I guess the end of the thread has some kind of boo-boo.

Adam

It could be a matter of thread length/depth. I happen to have a cap/handle combination that works great with most ABC caps, but not with Gillette caps.
Those crazy Canucks!!!

I have the same Canadian Goodwill with the fat tech handle version.
Just checked the head with the NEW Regent handle and found out they are fully interchangeable.
The OT head has a slightly longer center post though by the look of it.

If it is SAE and you have caliper or small enough ruler count how many threads there are for a full inch or half then x2 or quarter and x4 that will tell you the tpi. If it is 10 - 32 there should be 32 threads per inch 10 - 24 then 24 threads per inch, etc. you measure the inch from valley to valley and measure the peaks in between to get the thread count.

For metric measure from one peak to the next and that will give you the thread pitch i.e the 0.8 mm for an M5 X .8 thread.

Top Bottom