What's new

Canadian customs when buying razors

Hi guys,
I moved to Canada not too long ago and I've never bought anything pricey from abroad. Anyone has experience with customs when buying razors? I hope it is not too complicated or expensive, but I know I should not get my hopes up.

Welcome to Canada @Chelko! You'll love it here.

Canada Customs is always a gamble buying things from abroad. I've received DE blades and straight razors from the States, Australia, EU and Korea, and never had to pay any duties or fees on them. The declared value was never all that high, I think $70 at the most.

The one time I had to pay duty on shaving stuff was when I bought a new strop from Tony Miller. That was $25 or $30 on a $125 USD strop. I have no idea how they figure out how much the duties are.

At least it's easy to pay. Instead of delivering your item, Canada Post drops off a card saying you have to go to the Post Office to pick it up. Show your ID, pay your duty/ransom, and they'll give you your package. All the complication is on the sender, they have the fill out the customs paperwork.

Welcome aboard!!

I shouldn't think you should run into any problems since, as far as I know, straight razors are not contraband in any country.

Technically, the limit is $20. As a practical matter, items up to $100 go through without duty. Above $100, there's a chance that customs will charge you duty.

I read somewhere that used good enter duty free. You could argue your car should the need arise.

Of your looking for shaving supplies, there are several based on Canada (no customs). Italian Barber and Top of the Chain are two I've bought from and can recommend.

Check out "The Classic Edge". They are a Canadian on line store with an excellent reputation. Phil the owner is higly knowlegable and friendly. No import duties for Canadian customers

Fendrihan is another good one, in addition to those mentioned above. Italianbarber and Topofthechain are the big ones, they have just about anything you could want.

When I ordered my Tatara Masamune directly from Portugal, the cost of shipping and duty alone was equivalent to what I would have paid for a Canadian made razor like Razorock or Karve.

@Cezar

Does topofthechain have any discount codes for newsletters, forums, etc?
Not that I am aware of. They do occasionally have promotions that they announce on the homepage or by email. I gather they have some type of points system for return customers, but I have no idea how it works or how to access it despite being a regular customer.
They have pretty competitive prices on what they offer, and sometimes you’ll find some banging deals in the sale section.

Top Bottom