What's new

Canadian Big Fellow

I was at an antique sale and spotted a Canadian single ring. It was in what appeared to be, a wood big fellow box. My question is, could the razor originally have been sold with this box? Or is it just a matter of a mismatched razor and box?
Anyways, I plan to pick it up later this weekend. I'll post picks when I have it.

Or was it a Canadian Big Fellow?

If it's really a Single Ring then it's a mismatch.

I jotted down the markings after looking at it. On the handle - PAT. Mar 7.05. Which leads me to believe it may be a single ring. On the cap - 99546Z. Which I have yet to find anything on (still looking).

Edit: I think the "Z" means Canada.

Is there a Canadian Big Fellow?

Last edited:
I jotted down the markings after looking at it. On the handle - PAT. Mar 7.05. Which leads me to believe it may be a single ring. On the cap - 99546Z. Which I have yet to find anything on (still looking).

I'm not really sure about Canadian razors, but the patent number seems to indicate a Single Ring or an Old Type Big Fellow, however, the serial # indicates a New Improved, if I understood this correctly.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Canada_Dating_Information

After mid-1921 the Boston, USA plant continued to produce the Old Type razors, but without serial numbers. In Canada the Montreal plant probably did the same.

In mid-1921 Gillette introduced the New Improved. In Canada, the Montreal plant restarted its sequence of serial numbers from 1Z and probably continued until the end of the New Improved line in 1929.

That serial number would date it to 1921 or '22. Unless I'm just mixing everything up... :lol:

Last edited:
I
Edit: I think the "Z" means Canada.

Is there a Canadian Big Fellow?

Yes, Z is a Canadian suffix, and they made Big Fellows there. The only thing still confusing me is that the serial # is for a New Improved (Z suffix) but the patent date on the handle suggests an Old Type ... unless the patent was the same ...

Yes, Z is a Canadian suffix, and they made Big Fellows there. The only thing still confusing me is that the serial # is for a New Improved (Z suffix) but the patent date on the handle suggests an Old Type ... unless the patent was the same ...

I'm stumped on that also. But I know that Canadian I.d. markings can be weird. I think I will duck out of work early now and go grab the thing. I'll post pics in a couple hours...

I'm stumped on that also. But I know that Canadian I.d. markings can be weird. I think I will duck out of work early now and go grab the thing. I'll post pics in a couple hours...

Cool.

Wouldn't be a big surprise anyway. The New Improved and NEW made in the US also have the same 13 JAN 1920 patent on the handle.
Although in this case the Old Type patents would have expired I think.

Pics will let us know for sure.

Go for it. Sounds mismatched, but if so, it is still a cool razor and a cool case. We look forward to some pics.

Everything seems straight and solid both razor and box. Some plate loss though.

$big fellow 007.JPG

Attachments

• $big fellow 001.JPG
    $big fellow 001.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 79
Yup ... New Improved Big Fellow. Great score... the razor is silver plated, usually they clean up nicely, and the case is in great condition.

Congrats. :thumbsup:

how could you leave that razor there in the first place? lol well at least its all yours now! great find! cant wait to see it all cleaned up.

Very nice pick up. This is one that is on my short list. A Big Boy would also be good. Would love to see the cleanup results as well. Congrats!

Well, It didn't take long for you to go and grab it, didn't it?
A bunch of enablers we are. :lol:

Conrats!
I'm really happy for you!

Ya, I felt like I would be pushing my luck if I waited another couple days. The dealer said it was from the late '60, and let's just say, he was yet even further off on the price than he was on it's age. I'm a lucky boy.

The New Improved Big Fellow is pretty hard to come by. You are lucky some other hunter did not scoop it up first.
Congrats!

I jotted down the markings after looking at it. On the handle - PAT. Mar 7.05.

The New Improved and NEW made in the US also have the same 13 JAN 1920 patent on the handle.
Although in this case the Old Type patents would have expired I think.

Hey 5Cantonas, can you double check that patent date? It's possible that the Old Type patents were still valid in Canada, and if so continuing to mark the early New Improveds with the older date would have still been legal.

Hey 5Cantonas, can you double check that patent date? It's possible that the Old Type patents were still valid in Canada, and if so continuing to mark the early New Improveds with the older date would have still been legal.

The bottom of the handle definitely shows PAT. Mar 7.05. Faintly, there is (I think) a CA, and maybe a third. So I think it is "CA? PAT. Mar 7.05". Under that, is a mostly indistinguishable, longer serial number. For some reason, perhaps the handle was filed, just worn down, or the stamp missed that badly. The best I can tell is maybe "?2?????5??". Even that's just a guess.

Top Bottom