What's new

Canada Shaving Soap review

I tried Canada Shave Soap today. It is the most unscented soap I've tried, but I've only tried two others: Stirling Naked and Smooth & Stirling Sheep.

I scoop soap into my lather bowl, rather than load up on the puck. Canada Shave Soap doesn't really scoop; it scrapes out as powder. That's easier to work with in the bowl, but more difficult to scoop.

Results are good, but one use isn't a long enough trial.

I used CSS again today. This time, I loaded a badger brush from the tub, and face lathered. It went over a lot better than bowl lathering with soap powder.

It was the first time I've face lathered and enjoyed it. I will be face lathering with my other soaps at some point after this one.

Very pleasant shave! The lather felt like a thick cushion between my skin and blade, but it didn't stick or drag. I probably went a little too dry on my lather, but results are fantastic!

I used CSS again today. This time, I loaded a badger brush from the tub, and face lathered. It went over a lot better than bowl lathering with soap powder.

It was the first time I've face lathered and enjoyed it. I will be face lathering with my other soaps at some point after this one.

Very pleasant shave! The lather felt like a thick cushion between my skin and blade, but it didn't stick or drag. I probably went a little too dry on my lather, but results are fantastic!
R.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

It works even better with more hydration + it can hold a lot of water.

Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

Congratulations and happy shaves,

Jim

If it's just stearic acid, cocunut oil and glycerin and doesn't contain essential oils, that's under $1 worth of ingredients per tub. Even with packaging, labour and overhead, that's really an extravagant price, particularly considering not a lot of development had to go into a simple MdC knockoff. The performance would have to be absolute top of the heap to justify the price for me. And MdC was never a great performer for me personally.

If it's just stearic acid, cocunut oil and glycerin and doesn't contain essential oils, that's under $1 worth of ingredients per tub. Even with packaging, labour and overhead, that's really an extravagant price, particularly considering not a lot of development had to go into a simple MdC knockoff. The performance would have to be absolute top of the heap to justify the price for me. And MdC was never a great performer for me personally.
But these are premium ingredients! The coconuts are grown in a tranquil setting, only tended by the pure of heart, and no pests allowed!

:letterk1:

Have you tried it?

No I haven’t and that’s why I didn’t call it a rip-off. I said it would have to be a top of heap performer to justify the price for me.

Is it a better performer than all the less expensive soaps you’ve tried in terms of shave quality and how it leaves your skin feeling?
I have a tub and I think it is a very good soap. It is very hard and loads a brush very quickly.

Does it out perform Stirling Sheep or Unscented with Beeswax? Or Mike's Natural Soap Unscented? Or Shannon's Soaps Nil? I don't think so. But I do like it, and unlike MdC Nature, it doesn't bother my face.

And yes, it is pricey, but you are getting 6.2 ounces of a hard soap. The price per ounce is $5.16/oz, which is less than Ethos Clean and House of Mammoth Z, and just 16 cents more than PAA CK-6 Scentsless. I like it and enjoy it. Should I live long enough to use it up, well, then I am not sure if I'll replace it!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I need to use the PAA CK-6 a few more times to see if I end up liking it as much as the Canada Shaving Soap, but for me, so far, the CSS is a bit better.

I tried Scott's Captain's Choice unscented soap for the first time the other day. It seems quite good to me, but it's no longer in their product line because it isn't a big seller for them.

I also tried the Stirling Unscented with beeswax and was impressed.

I still have to try the Mystic Water Unscented. I have high hopes for it.

I have a tub and I think it is a very good soap. It is very hard and loads a brush very quickly.

Does it out perform Stirling Sheep or Unscented with Beeswax? Or Mike's Natural Soap Unscented? Or Shannon's Soaps Nil? I don't think so. But I do like it, and unlike MdC Nature, it doesn't bother my face.

And yes, it is pricey, but you are getting 6.2 ounces of a hard soap. The price per ounce is $5.16/oz, which is less than Ethos Clean and House of Mammoth Z, and just 16 cents more than PAA CK-6 Scentsless. I like it and enjoy it. Should I live long enough to use it up, well, then I am not sure if I'll replace it!
Fair enough and that's why I don't expect to try it. It's one thing for MdC to charge an extravagant price for their soap; they have years of expert experience with a reputation to match, they use essential oils in their sophisticated fragrances and use heavy glass jars in their packaging. And they developed the formula and elevated packaging quality beyond most if not all of the competition.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My top soaps and creams:
Martin de Candre
Saponificio Varesino
WSP Rustic and Formula T
Cyril R Salter Tub Creams
PannaCrema Nuàvia
Tallow + Steel
Stirling
A&E
Shannons
The Fat
Plus several others I occasionally use.....

So of course I ordered some Canada Shaving Soap. ;)

It will be interesting to compare it to MdC and WSP Rustic. :)

And PannaCrema Nuàvia for post shave face feel. :)

Last edited:
My top soaps and creams:
Martin de Candre
Saponificio Varesino
WSP Rustic and Formula T
Cyril R Salter Tub Creams
PannaCrema Nuàvia
Tallow + Steel
Stirling
A&E
Shannons
The Fat
Plus several others I occasionally use.....

So of course I ordered some Canada Shaving Soap. ;)

It will be interesting to compare it to MdC and WSP Rustic. :)

And PannaCrema Nuàvia for post shave face feel. :)
Would be interested in your impression after trying it.

Exactly right!

The cheapest of cheap ingredients and the most basic of shaving soap recipes!

I made my own soap with similar ingredients but I would say mine is more premium in that I use soy wax instead of stearic acid, I added sweet almond oil and liquid silk in order to improve the performance and reduce the skin drying tendency of the coconut oil.

It was STILL dirt cheap to make!

Top Bottom