What's new

Canada Shaving Soap review

Second use was even better. I have other soaps to finish, but maybe later…
Trust me sir it just gets better and better

It seems like most people's reaction is

1) first use - this is a pretty good Soap, I'm happy with this purchase

2) second use - oh this was REALLY good.. Not the best but it's already made my top 10 list

3) third use - alright I'm shaving with this for the next two weeks

I'm also very interested in the BOSC Crew's findings.. Both @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Cal have been using their CSS extensively. Let's see how long a tub really lasts. I have used mine about 20 times now and there's the slightest amount of rim showing in the tub. I fathom I would get 300+ shaves out of one but will leave it up to BOSC to 'get to the bottom of it' 😉

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm also very interested in the BOSC Crew's findings.. Both @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Cal have been using their CSS extensively. Let's see how long a tub really lasts. I have used mine about 20 times now and there's the slightest amount of rim showing in the tub. I fathom I would get 300+ shaves out of one but will leave it up to BOSC to 'get to the bottom of it' 😉

I'm not using it exclusively but I am using it most of the time now. It's a very good soap by any standard. I'm considering purchasing a tub of the scentless or unscented or whatever Frank calls it ETHOS soap.

If anything is better than Canada Shaving Soap it might be that one. I've used a couple of scented ETHOS soaps. They are extremely luxurious in how the lather and feel, but I've not used the unscented version.

Canada is very hard soap. You'd think triple milled.

It's not hard to load and lather of course. Not unless you also consider MdC hard to load.

Cal loads his brush much less heavily than me which will be a factor in how many shaves the two of us get with Canada Shaving Soap. He also uses much smaller brushes.

In my opinion the soap seems a little bit expensive compared to some others but few last like Canada so it might not be expensive at all over time.

I don't see any downsides to Canada Shaving Soap, but not everyone needs what I need or likes what I like.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Here is something I did a few months ago for my own evaluation of what a soap might be worth to me. What I have no idea on would be cost per shave or shaves per oz, which would really be beneficial for a cost analysis for CSS. On the CSS website, Peter states that "most people will use just 1 container of Canada Shaving Soap in a year" for what it is worth. And as Jim noted above, how much one loads the brush and even the size of the brush will be factors. But here is the table I made using the prices on the websites at that time, without shipping added.

Price
SOAPWEIGHT (oz)PRICECOST/Oz
Ethos4$34.00$8.50
Canda Shaving6.2$32.00$5.16
Scentsless CK-65$25.00$5.00
House of Mammoth4$22.00$5.50
Zingari Man5$21.00$4.20
Mystic Water4$14.15$3.54
Stirling (any)5.8$14.00$2.41
Mike's4$12.00$3.00
Shannon's4$12.00$3.00

What would be of interest would be to record the mass of your container, then use it normally for a week and mass it again. I may have to put my BOSC jacket on and try this out!
Maine Yooper.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thanks, @MaineYooper !

We could go even crazier and see how many uses a person gets per ounce or per container as well.

I have a few of the brands listed in your lineup (Canada, Mystic, Stirling); and haven’t used Mystic yet); and enjoy my initial results from Canada Shaving soap as much as those from my sample of Stirling Sheep (which is more than their lanolin and beef tallow “Naked and Smooth” and wax and tallow “Unscented With Beeswax”), but there’s more to it:

Along with being really easy to use whether one loads lightly or heavily, there’s a neat drawing of a bear on the lid!

I buy DE razor blades with crocodiles and sharks on their tuck boxes, so having a potentially ferocious animal depicted on my soap improves the vibe.

Now to get a brush shaped like a box jellyfish and find a new sink that looks like a cassowary…. Just to be worthy of use with Canada Shaving Soap

Thanks, @MaineYooper !

We could go even crazier and see how many uses a person gets per ounce or per container as well.

I have a few of the brands listed in your lineup (Canada, Mystic, Stirling); and haven’t used Mystic yet); and enjoy my initial results from Canada Shaving soap as much as those from my sample of Stirling Sheep (which is more than their lanolin and beef tallow “Naked and Smooth” and wax and tallow “Unscented With Beeswax”), but there’s more to it:

Along with being really easy to use whether one loads lightly or heavily, there’s a neat drawing of a bear on the lid!

I buy DE razor blades with crocodiles and sharks on their tuck boxes, so having a potentially ferocious animal depicted on my soap improves the vibe.

Now to get a brush shaped like a box jellyfish and find a new sink that looks like a cassowary…. Just to be worthy of use with Canada Shaving Soap
Well put! I do dig the bear and the maple leaf. And I have many AP Shave Co. knots as well as the Karve Overlander. Oh, Canada!

...What would be of interest would be to record the mass of your container, then use it normally for a week and mass it again. I may have to put my BOSC jacket on and try this out!

Cost analyses using real-world measurements have been done many times on similar soaps, such as MdC. They consistently come out as mid-range in cost.

Off the top of my head, the cost range looks similar to this:

Arko < $0.02 per session
Pre de Provence < $0.05 per session
Cella Bio < $0.07 per session
MdC < $0.15 per session
Wholly Kaw premium soaps < $0.40 per session

If we assume Canada is similar to MdC in usage rate, that would net roughly:
175 grams / 0.5 grams per shave = 350 shaves per container
32 / 350 = $0.091 per session

So, cost might be expected to be much less than the more premium artisan soaps, but somewhat higher than the more mainstream soaps.

Usual disclaimers about how everyone is different, etc...

Cost analyses using real-world measurements have been done many times on similar soaps, such as MdC. They consistently come out as mid-range in cost.

Off the top of my head, the cost range looks similar to this:

Arko < $0.02 per session
Pre de Provence < $0.05 per session
Cella Bio < $0.07 per session
MdC < $0.15 per session
Wholly Kaw premium soaps < $0.40 per session

If we assume Canada is similar to MdC in usage rate, that would net roughly:
175 grams / 0.5 grams per shave = 350 shaves per container
32 / 350 = $0.091 per session

So, cost might be expected to be much less than the more premium artisan soaps, but somewhat higher than the more mainstream soaps.

Usual disclaimers about how everyone is different, etc...
Thanks, that is some great info to have at hand!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Used the Canada Shaving Soap again last night. Loaded a little lighter than my foolishness required, but it still worked.

Scent almost completely gone. In contrast, a puck of Williams Mug Soap has been airing out in the creepy part of my basement since late August last year is just beginning to calm down.

My first non-Canada SOTD since my first post (May 21, 2022) on this thread:
H-SOTD-Pu_2022-07-02.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Gillette Hybrid Tech GT
Blade: Gillette Rubie (2)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

A most luxurious shave. :biggrin:
Scentsless goes to the top again with Canada in second place (both excellent soaps).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Top Bottom