What's new

Can you pls explain the difference between these two?

Well, to be honest, I love the old No2 Steerhide and a Westholme, But I had to pay shipping from the states to the UK and that was the best thing I did I love the Steerhide. As my go-to strop and I will say, Tonys Strop, you get one fantastic strop for your money you cannot go wrong.

I am spoiled with English linen on my Westerholme strop. I don't think I can use anything but, now...

Damn... I have become a stropping cork sniffer! :D

I can see where you're coming from with the English linen with Westholme....

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Well, to be honest, I love the old No2 Steerhide and a Westholme, But I had to pay shipping from the states to the UK and that was the best thing I did I love the Steerhide. As my go-to strop and I will say, Tonys Strop, you get one fantastic strop for your money you cannot go wrong.

I can see where you're coming from with the English linen with Westholme....

I have an Old No 2 also, fast draw. Alfredo has one just for wedges, and when one in perfect condition came up on the BST, I jumped on it.

I’d love to have a Westholme, especially the linen, but don’t do social media, so I’ll have to settle for my Kanoyamas and Tony Miller linen.

Hey, my Filly 14 Sub Cero has an edge on it over a year old with 110 shaves on it, still going strong, maintained by Kanoyama and a Tony Miller linen.

Hey, my Filly 14 Sub Cero has an edge on it over a year old with 110 shaves on it, still going strong, maintained by Kanoyama and a Tony Miller linen.

I think their is something special about Filarmonicas.... My Fili 14 hasnt been touched up and it's been at least 3 years since I put an edge on it, and she still shaves like a dream! I am not sure how many shaves is on it, but she is my #1 razor, and has been for years... so a lot. :)

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Especially the comments regarding the Kanayama cordovan strops. I bought a 50K six months ago and today I bought a 90K...both directly from Mr Naomi who makes the Kanayama strops in a small workshop in Tokyo. (Actually the name of the company is Kanoyama). Mr Naomi is a true gentleman. He is quite modest and was very generous with his time answering my questions. Since there were some inquiries about the canvas strop, I asked him if any preparation was necessary before using the canvas stop and/or the cordovan and suede strops. He said you use the strops as is right out of the box. (There were some English instructions included with the strops but he admitted that he didn't/couldn't read them). I also asked him if he had ever met Tanifuji Fukutaro. He said that he had met him a few times but could not recall any particular stories. I plan to visit Mr Naomi again in a two weeks. He has agreed to allow me to observe him making some cordovan strops. Let me know if you have any questions for him.

The obvious answer is that one is cow and the other is horse. I believe horse is the traditional choice for strop material. I do feel a little guilty about using horse leather. Humans have a special relationship with horses and dogs. It’s a betrayal of a friend to use horse leather in my opinion. I do it but if I’m honest it makes me a little uneasy.

Cows on the other hand know what they’re up for. We have a deal with them. We look after them, feed them, water them, keep them warm and generally protect them from harm. We give them an easy life on the understanding that it will be a short one and one day we will kill them (in a humane way) and eat them. With horses we have a different understanding.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed reading this thread. Especially the comments regarding the Kanayama cordovan strops. I bought a 50K six months ago and today I bought a 90K...both directly from Mr Naomi who makes the Kanayama strops in a small workshop in Tokyo. (Actually the name of the company is Kanoyama). Mr Naomi is a true gentleman. He is quite modest and was very generous with his time answering my questions. Since there were some inquiries about the canvas strop, I asked him if any preparation was necessary before using the canvas stop and/or the cordovan and suede strops. He said you use the strops as is right out of the box. (There were some English instructions included with the strops but he admitted that he didn't/couldn't read them). I also asked him if he had ever met Tanifuji Fukutaro. He said that he had met him a few times but could not recall any particular stories. I plan to visit Mr Naomi again in a two weeks. He has agreed to allow me to observe him making some cordovan strops. Let me know if you have any questions for him.

That is amazing. See if you can get video of him making strops.

I need to get another kanayama strop. I have regretted selling my 70000 since the day I packed it up for shipping.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You probably mean bridle, not bridal. And bridle pieces are only about 3/4" wide. A girth makes a pretty poor strop and most won't work at all. Plus they are no cheaper than a decent entry level strop. I have seen several posts lately suggesting the use of a saddle girth and that is just wrong. Anybody suggesting it doesn't know a lot about horse tack or stropping, either one.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A Kanayama of any grade is an excellent strop in that it is such an exquisite joy to use. It does not actually improve the edge significantly over a good horsehide or cowhide strop, though. Nevertheless when I am setting up a razor for someone else I always go 50 on cow and 50 on shell. No particular reason, just going the extra mile.

That would be cool, love to see a master at work!
Man I wish I would have seen it earlier I would have asked if he had a strop from his father or grandfather. I would love to see one.

Hi all,

I am after a good quality strop, but nothing fancy. In particular, I've been looking at these two strops from Tony Miller:

View attachment 1100841

View attachment 1100842

I understand these are good quality "everyday" strops.

Other than color, is there any REAL difference between the two? One says "light draw", the other one "light to medium draw".

What about the actual leather? One is AFAIU a Cordovan imitation, made out of horsehide. The other one is plain cowhide.

My goal is to get ONE quality strop.

Would either of the above two be a good choice? (If not - why not?)

If so, which one and why?

Note: I know that it is darn hard for some of you Pros and collectors to explain why I should get both and decide for myself and then get another 2 dozen, but PLS don't bother. I only want one quality strop. My grandpa had one for probably 50 years back in his day. I'm convinced that "less is more".

My set budget is up to $200. I've absolutely no interest in looking at $1000 strops, just as I'm not pursuing $1000 SRs made of Damascus, with diamond-adorned handles or any of that stuff. I need a tool, not a piece of jewelry.

Thanks so much!! 😊
Why not ask Tony?

Top Bottom