What's new

Can you lighten up an after shave?

Is there a preferred witch hazel, a brand that is odorless? I have a bottle of Dickinson's Natural at home, and it has a slight medicinal smell to it. Maybe this is just what you get from WH and the AS blends and dominates it?

I used to cut Aqua Velva with wh: 2 or 3 wh to 1 AV. It was less strong, but still stronger than I liked. I like an aftershave that is gone in 30 minutes and doesn't stick around all day. AV lasts forever no matter how much you cut it.

I always splash on Dickinson's wh before my aftershave, but I don't notice a difference with a no-name wh, except that Dickinson's is easier to pour. When I'm visiting KY, I'll buy Kroger brand. After you use wh awhile, you don't even notice that slight funky smell. I also never found a difference between the Dickinson blue label and the yellow (toner) label. Same stuff, just one is usually more expensive. I also use wh on cuts, bug bites, skin irritations, itching, etc. I'll even splash it on my face, neck & head after a shower. Good stuff to have on hand.

I cut some Clubman with witch hazel as per the video, went a little stronger at 6 to 1, the mixture was cloudy but the results were great. At these ratios I'll be swimming in after shave!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used to cut Aqua Velva with wh: 2 or 3 wh to 1 AV. It was less strong, but still stronger than I liked. I like an aftershave that is gone in 30 minutes and doesn't stick around all day. AV lasts forever no matter how much you cut it.

I always splash on Dickinson's wh before my aftershave, but I don't notice a difference with a no-name wh, except that Dickinson's is easier to pour. When I'm visiting KY, I'll buy Kroger brand. After you use wh awhile, you don't even notice that slight funky smell. I also never found a difference between the Dickinson blue label and the yellow (toner) label. Same stuff, just one is usually more expensive. I also use wh on cuts, bug bites, skin irritations, itching, etc. I'll even splash it on my face, neck & head after a shower. Good stuff to have on hand.
I'll have to try AV. I like AS that hangs around, tho the War Department has other opinions of how long it should last!

I cut my stronger aftershaves with either Chiseled Face Natural (if I want menthol) or Stirling unscented (if not).

I got some Stirling unscented, used it on it's own yesterday, from the light medicinal smell and ingredients listed not sure its more than witch hazel with a little extra alcohol added. If so I can make this on my own a lot cheaper, especially if I'm using it to cut an aftershave

Last edited:
I got some Stirling unscented, used it on it's own yesterday, from the light medicinal smell and ingredients listed not sure its more than witch hazel with a little extra alcohol added. If so I can make this on my own a lot cheaper, especially if I'm using it to cut an aftershave
I've never been able to get the aloe and the glycerin right when I've tried to mix it. I like the face feel of Stirling aftershaves, so it's worth the money to me to just have Rod & Co. make it for me. But I totally see your point.

I apply AS with one of my wife's cosmetic pads. Their made of cotton, and are maybe an inch and a half in diameter and an eighth inch thick. I find I can get by using a lot less product that way. If I want to apply a product thinly, I'll wet my face, put four or five drops of AS on a pad, and wipe it over my face. I do this with Proraso AS, for instance, or it leaves my skin sticky.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I can’t let this one slide by without comment. You’re kidding us, right?

Inappropriate joke: When you said he died from smoking, I thought you meant the smoke killed him, not the lighter.
Hilarious. No, he was just tough. Old fart smoked from age 7 til he died at 79. At 55 his back went out. At the hospital they xrayed his back. The doc says " I see you never smoked." Me and my brother laughed. Never had cancer. We joked that he was made out of titanium.

Top Bottom