What's new

Can you ever have enough whetstones?

I think that I already know the answer to this one but here it goes. My interest in straight razors inevitably led me to whetstones. The topic of whetstones, in particularly natural whetstones, has been of great interest for me. It's amazing how a different finish can completely transform the performance of a razor. Of all the rabbit holes, I've found this on the most interesting and rewarding. After trying a variety of stones I eventually settled on my favorites. And then I got a few backups...

Tracking down good naturals can be pretty difficult. In particular where I live there are precious few in circulation. You really need to keep a constant eye out and be patient to slowly build your collection. I'm now at the point where I have two synth progressions (film and Shapton Glass) and three types of finishers (Thuri, Ark and Coti) with a couple examples of each.

On the face of it, I'm set for life. I have a nice little selection and enough stones to easily see me out. In reality there are enough for me, my children and probably grandchildren to never need another finisher. The problem is that I've gotten so used to looking that I still keep an eye out. Once in a while something good pops up and my instinct tells me to grab it. It might be a different vein, colour or size to what I have. Or it might just be a particularly good example that I know doesn't come up very often. It's getting to the stage that I have more stones than razors!

Can a self confessed Rock Hound ever have enough stones?

I think that I already know the answer to this one but here it goes. My interest in straight razors inevitably led me to whetstones. The topic of whetstones, in particularly natural whetstones, has been of great interest for me. It's amazing how a different finish can completely transform the performance of a razor. Of all the rabbit holes, I've found this on the most interesting and rewarding. After trying a variety of stones I eventually settled on my favorites. And then I got a few backups...

Tracking down good naturals can be pretty difficult. In particular where I live there are precious few in circulation. You really need to keep a constant eye out and be patient to slowly build your collection. I'm now at the point where I have two synth progressions (film and Shapton Glass) and three types of finishers (Thuri, Ark and Coti) with a couple examples of each.

On the face of it, I'm set for life. I have a nice little selection and enough stones to easily see me out. In reality there are enough for me, my children and probably grandchildren to never need another finisher. The problem is that I've gotten so used to looking that I still keep an eye out. Once in a while something good pops up and my instinct tells me to grab it. It might be a different vein, colour or size to what I have. Or it might just be a particularly good example that I know doesn't come up very often. It's getting to the stage that I have more stones than razors!

Can a self confessed Rock Hound ever have enough stones?
All rock hounds have *enough*, getting them to recognize the fact... that's the hard part.

I often wonder on some stones when looking at the sides and color striations what the 2-3mm depth into the surface could bring… does that make sense?

Feels better just to get a new & different stone though…

My stones out number my razors at the moment. I still look for that special stone or great deal.

My stones need more food, i.e. razors to eat steel from and never get enough friends:) Were does it end?
1633691981745.png

I too came from from whetstones to straight razors.

The most I ever had at one time was 150+ stones and 50+ razors.

Due to pressure of being labeled a hoarder and the crazy prices chefs would pay. I sold most of them but only to buy top quality Jnats.

I kept the best examples(performance wise) of each category and now I have 50+ whetstones and 30+ straight razors.

I would never sell my best stones! Ever! I choose function over form, period.

I always wanted a bech sized Maruka but after testing 11 of them. None were better than my Kurumaguchi Hatatoshi or a Razors sized Hatatoshi.
So I never kept one. Turns out a Kurumaguchi is much much rarer than a Maruka and even better performing. I have only seen two other examples, one other on Fikira's historyrazors website( mine is on there too) and another that Aljuwaiedak had. Thats it! Thats after three years of owning it.

That is why I say you can never have enough! You might miss out on that gem and they are out there. If you look hard enough!

Kind of like diamonds a one carat flawless can go for 10,000$ a carat but a red diamong can fetch a 1,000,000$ a carat. I am comparing them to performace not looks, just using the diamonds as a example of you may have something good but you can find even better.

Never stop looking is my moto. Educate yourself and keep your eyes open as you never know where you might find it!

Top Bottom