What's new

Can you ever have enough whetstones?

"Can a self confessed Rock Hound ever have enough stones?"

Nope, there are more expensive/destructive addictions.
Very, very true. Any tool addiction can be somewhat detrimental to finances if you're just collecting them but if you're using them to make a living, write them off on your taxes and I tell myself how useful they'll be for my son and daughter to be able to use to start a business or earn a living. He uses my tools now to earn money, I see THAT as a worthwhile investment more so than the tools themselves. My daughter is 2 and has a pocket whetstone that broke 2x and got superglue back together that she pulls out anytime im honing and she will rub it on the diamond plate lightly, put water on it and spend 30 minutes yelling at me to use her stone because she isn't big enough to touch knives obviously. Learning the important stuff.

Very, very true. Any tool addiction can be somewhat detrimental to finances if you're just collecting them but if you're using them to make a living, write them off on your taxes and I tell myself how useful they'll be for my son and daughter to be able to use to start a business or earn a living. He uses my tools now to earn money, I see THAT as a worthwhile investment more so than the tools themselves. My daughter is 2 and has a pocket whetstone that broke 2x and got superglue back together that she pulls out anytime im honing and she will rub it on the diamond plate lightly, put water on it and spend 30 minutes yelling at me to use her stone because she isn't big enough to touch knives obviously. Learning the important stuff.
My three girls (11, 10, and 4) are all very interested in honing, although I haven't sat them down to teach them yet (obviously the youngest needs a few more years on her). My boy, who's almost 16, has no interest in honing or wet shaving whatsoever. What can you do?

My three girls (11, 10, and 4) are all very interested in honing, although I haven't sat them down to teach them yet (obviously the youngest needs a few more years on her). My boy, who's almost 16, has no interest in honing or wet shaving whatsoever. What can you do?
Show them and teach them to do right. I didn't start at shaving until I was 35 but a big motivating factor for that was me watching my great grandfather stropping his razor and shaving because people were coming over. It stuck with me even though it took time to realize it. I had my families voices in my head all the time from remembering some random thing from my childhood. When I was 16 I didn't care about honing outside of bare minimum for utilities sake. My 8 year old son constantly tells me about his gun store/ sharpening business he wants when he grows up. He doesn't sound like me at that age, he sounds like my little brother at that age. Best thing any parent can do is just be there. It's really that simple.. for the most part, but there are certainly extenuating circumstances.

I don’t understand the concept “enough “. What does that mean. It depends on what the definition of “is” is

@David I am going to live forever. I read on the forums, and we all know everything on the internet is true, that if I drink dried J-Nat slurry mixed in green tea, that is the secret to forever life

Between hones, cast iron cook wear, and long guns, it will be a Hootenanny
I can hear it now.

“What did you do with all those whetstones?”

“What whetstones?”

“The ones in all the cupboards and boxes. You must have seen them. There were hundreds of them.”

“Oh the mismatched paving sample things. Don’t worry I’ve already taken care of those already. It took a few trips but they’re all at the tip now.”

“Dude. Those were worth a fortune! The little yellow/green ones go for a thousand bucks a pop online.”

“Opps….”

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Let me guess, you have a half dozen ERIE spider skillets in pristine condition that you paid pennies for?

I don’t have dozens, do have some Erie, Erie spider, #2, and #13 pans. Scored at my usually flea market attractive prices. One of my rarest is a 16 1/2 oval skillet. Only seen one at auction in many years looking

That’s one of the reasons years ago started collecting stones. Wanted something smaller and lighter. Lighter, HAHAHA. Might change to pez dispensers or maybe match boxes next

B0F998B4-F4B2-4A0D-AD49-BB6E97DE8029.jpeg
E9E463B6-3B6D-4EC6-92BD-FB986D47E2E2.jpeg

I think one can fall into having too many hones too early on in ones straight razor journey and that can be detrimental to being able to learn the fundamentals of honing since you could end up flitting around from rock to rock and never nailing down solid technique. Once you have the experience honing however it's just a matter of space and finances. I've kind of honed in (pun intended) on the stones, both synthetic and natural, that work for me so I don't have much of a collection any more. The only stone I want is a nice coticule as I regret selling the ones I had. I do buy hones every now and again just to restore and flip for profit however.

9 months straight razor shaving
First razor not shave ready
Purchased 12k, then fell down hole
Shapton glass stones
4 jnats, various tomos/ naguras
Blk thuri and blk ark
2 cotis and la lune stone
13 razors
Hmmmmm, i love my naturals stones and my razors
Its you guys fault
IMG_1285.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yup, you can have too many. More is not more flexibility, fewer is freedom from overthinking. More invites overthinking and spending additional time and effort to do what you could do with fewer stones.

I know some would love a grit progression in 500's. 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500.....

Consider what actual barbers using straights had and used.

Top Bottom