What's new

Can you add metal to to a thin tail?

So this arrived from fleabay today. I knew from the pics that the blade was great. it’s shave ready, and feels like the keenest of the three razors I have so far. I knew the scales were cheap and I’d be changing them. What I did not notice (and I should have) was that the tail must have had a lot of rust maybe because it is thin, like really thin! My question is, is it possible to add a bit of metal all the way back on the tail? Is that something that’s done, or does it mess with temper etc.?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't see any reason why that razor is not perfectly usable like that. You could however grind the sides of the tang perfectly flat and cut some MOP or vintage ivory or fossil ivory and make a covered tang. I don't think it would be worth the work and you will need to do a few practice pieces first. So final answer is no, and that's not a bad thing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That tail does look surprising thin in plan view but about normal in profile. I would suggest that you shave with it "as is" for a while and then decide if you need a "fatter" tail.

Mind you, I consider a straight razor to be a tool with which to shave, not something to be aestheticly admired.

Top Bottom