What's new

Can we talk about mechanical pencils?

I'm an interior architect who was fortunately trained in hand drafting shortly before it was phased out in favor of CAD. I use CAD exclusively at work now, but I do still enjoy creating technical drawings and sketching on my own time. I have a Rotring 800 that I purchased about 6 years ago that I enjoy, but I know there's a whole world of mechanical pencils out there. Does anyone here use them? Let me know what you're carrying, and share some pics if you don't mind.

If you can find them, the classic KOH-I-NOOR Rapidiomatic series in .3, .5, .7, and .9 mm leads was my favorite. Chrome knurled grip section and hardness indicator. Smooth action. I'll add a pic of my .7 in a minute.

Here is the .7

Each size came in a different color. Red for .3, I lost and don't remember the .5, grey for .7, and dark blue for .9
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Still use a Bohemia Works Toison D’Or Colorama 5217:1 mechanical pencil, made in Czechoslovakia.
I think I’ve had it since the late 1980’s.... still going strong...

Good looking pencils, guys! Do any of you have experience with the Pentel Orenz Nero? I've been looking at it for a while.

orenznero-4.jpg

Reactions: Avi
My wife is an architect and loves the rotring 800 as well. I personally find them really hard to use as they hurt my fingers when you clutch them (wife would argue I hold pencils like a gorilla :)) Regardless for architecture style pencils I love the pentel graph gear 1000s - which come from 0.3 to 0.7, are self-retracting, and are much easier to hold.

The other one I like is the uni toga series which rotate the lead as you write (and are pretty inexpensive )

Perhaps for context I like pencils to chicken scratch math all day rather than fancy drawings

They have .2mm leads now?!? Sheesh!

No experience, but if you rotate the pencil while drawing to maintain a consistent line width, the edges may feel weird - I would see if there is an art supply that has them and would let you use it for a few minutes.

I like mechanical pencils.:blush:

For drawing, I generally prefer wood pencils with a range of lead grades; for writing, I more often go to mechanical ones. I prefer thicker leads, 0.9 or 1.1 mm, with a 2B grade or softer. Except for exceptions.

In this picture, the top pencil is a Pentel Orenz with a 0.2 mm lead. The lead tube is specially designed so that it exposes only a tiny amount of lead, and you are less likely to break it. I use thin leads like this for drawing, when I want to work with a very fine line. I have a Rotring Tikky with a 0.35 mm lead (I think it's actually the same as 0.3 from other makers) in a travel drawing kit.

Below that, a Pentel Kerry, 0.7 mm, 2B leads. It has a cap that you can use to avoid poking holes in your shirt pocket, although it's posted right now.

Vintage Esterbrook below that, the old 0.046 inch size lead that is about equivalent to 1.17 or 1.18 mm.

Parker twist action 0.9 mm pencil, 2B leads again. Very nice. Not sure what the model is, might be a 45.

U.S. Government Skilcraft below that, 0.046 inch lead, either 2B or 4B. Identical to some Scripto models. Not sure if they were made by Scripto, or made under license with the same design by the nominal maker, Lighthouse for the Blind.

And a little novelty item, again the 0.046 inch lead size. No indication at all of who made it, no writing, no logo. The twist action works quite well, but you have to break off an even shorter piece from an already short lead to get one that will fit. I almost never actually use it, but put a red lead in there in case I need one.

pencils5.jpg

I had a Pentel Kerry several decades ago. Nice pencil. Eventually, the cap would not stay posted when extending the lead.

The only pencils I use are 0.5 mm mechanical pencils with retractable sheaths. My favorite for decades was the equivalent of today's Pentel Libretto.
a811a_480x480.png
As I have gotten older, I find larger, more comfortable grips work better for me, and as my memory goes a cheaper pencil that I don't mind losing is more practical. My daily driver is now the Pentel PL75a. The retractable sheaths keep me from tearing paper and let me write longer without advancing the lead.

61uDG8hV34L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This isn't entirely related, but what do you guys think about the Kaweco Sketchup? It's more of an architectural lead holder than a mechanical pencil. It uses a massive lead. They offer it in solid brass and it's very beautiful in a utilitarian sort of way.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I use a mechanical pencil, mostly for writing in my weekly planner. I still use the pocket-sized, paper planner for carrying around, and electronic backup on my desktop computer. I really like the 0.5mm lead for that purpose.

My favourite pencil is a Lamy 2000

1595461719637.png

I like it because it's actually not too thin (like most are IMHO.)

So do I Basil, I think some people call them leadholders. The Staedtler has a useful built in sharpener that other makers would do well to copy.
Ah yeah I guess that is a little different than a mechanical one then. I do agree that the little sharpener in the back is my favourite.

So do I Basil, I think some people call them leadholders. The Staedtler has a useful built in sharpener that other makers would do well to copy.

Yeah. Leadholder or clutch pencil if you want to define it by the lead-advancing mechanism. The Kaweco Sketch Up I mentioned a few posts above is a clutch pencil. They're neat. They appeal to the drafting geek in me.

Here are my favorites:
IMG_0175.jpeg

From top to bottom:
  • Skilcraft B3 Aviator multipen with black ballpoint, red ballpoint, and 0.5mm mechanical pencil.
  • Pentel Sharp Kerry 0.5mm.
  • HRIBARCAIN 2mm lead holder purchased through a Kickstarter. The lead sits in a magnetic clutch; loosen the tip and use the ring to slide the lead in and out, then tighten the tip to hold it in place.

Top Bottom