What's new

Can we talk about mechanical pencils?

Here are my favorites:View attachment 1135800
From top to bottom:
  • Skilcraft B3 Aviator multipen with black ballpoint, red ballpoint, and 0.5mm mechanical pencil.
  • Pentel Sharp Kerry 0.5mm.
  • HRIBARCAIN 2mm lead holder purchased through a Kickstarter. The lead sits in a magnetic clutch; loosen the tip and use the ring to slide the lead in and out, then tighten the tip to hold it in place.

Gorgeous! The Kerry and the HRIBARCAIN especially!

The HRIBARCAIN is a little slippery to write or draw with, but I still love it. The Kerry is just a classic, pretty much unchanged since its introduction and a great writer.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When I was a draftsman, I just used the Pentel P200 series, and have stuck with them ever since. The Ikon clones are decent too, and I also have a Zebra M-301 that I quite like too. I have used others, but they were clunky and heavy. I don't mind substantial pens, but have always favoured lighter pencils.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like mechanical pencils. I have only used the cheaper style ones. I have several in my golf bag that are not getting any use. I should dig them out and start using them again just for note taking.

Big fan of the Pentel Kerry here as well. I’ve been using mine for about 20 years and keep one at home and one in the office.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
15969333691142612642922161756739.jpg

Top is the nameless pencil I've had since high school. Middle is a papermate I picked up years later ... rubbery grip makes it hard going in and out of pockets.

Bottom in my LAMY 2000. Daily driver.

Mechanical pencils... oh yeah, that's some serious goodness there. I got hooked on them during high school math and mechanical drawing classes; you saw my favorites earlier in the thread. I tried to love fountain pens, pens in general really, but I just make too many mistakes when I'm scribbling out a draft to make any pen really viable for me. I'm going to type up everything after the first draft anyway, so might as well use cheap, comfortable, and erasable. They also work really well if I want to sketch out an idea visually.

A Rotring 800 is my daily carry. I’ve used mechanicals since about 1962. My dad was a design engineer. I carried Pentels and Schaeffers (Sp?) for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone who went to elementary school in the 1970s in Canada recall those pencils that had a bunch of pencil 'leads' in individual plastic holders that were switched out from bottom to top of the proprietary style plastic tube thing that formed the 'pencil' body as the 'lead' wore down? What was that pencil called does anyone know?

Have a couple, one with colors. I dobby remember if they had a special name, but were still available in the late 90's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Does anyone who went to elementary school in the 1970s in Canada recall those pencils that had a bunch of pencil 'leads' in individual plastic holders that were switched out from bottom to top of the proprietary style plastic tube thing that formed the 'pencil' body as the 'lead' wore down? What was that pencil called does anyone know?

i haven’t thought about these in ages ... apparently they are called stacking point pencils and are still available on amazon!

I have a rOtring 700 .3 mechanical pencil that's just sitting in a leather sleeve being ignored. If anyone is interested in purchasing it let me know. It's in near perfect condition.

While I am not in drafting or architecture, but I use a mechanical pencil daily at work, I am an economist that specializes in industrial supply side/chain econometrics. I use pen(cil) and paper to write out equations and formulas before I type them out or use them in software. Writing it out lets me find any mistakes and allows me to make changes on the fly quicker.
I have four go to pencils I like to use. I have a rotring 600, a Pentel Kerry Sharp, and two Kaweco sport pencils, one is banana frosted and the other is the brass version. All of my mechanical pencils are 0.7 as I find it ideal for me for general writing.

Attachments

• 20200812_114220.jpg
    20200812_114220.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
While I am not in drafting or architecture, but I use a mechanical pencil daily at work, I am an economist that specializes in industrial supply side/chain econometrics. I use pen(cil) and paper to write out equations and formulas before I type them out or use them in software. Writing it out lets me find any mistakes and allows me to make changes on the fly quicker.
I have four go to pencils I like to use. I have a rotring 600, a Pentel Kerry Sharp, and two Kaweco sport pencils, one is banana frosted and the other is the brass version. All of my mechanical pencils are 0.7 as I find it ideal for me for general writing.

I rrreeallllyyyy love the look of the Kaweco pencils. I'm almost definitely grabbing a brass Kaweco Sketch Up some time soon.

I rrreeallllyyyy love the look of the Kaweco pencils. I'm almost definitely grabbing a brass Kaweco Sketch Up some time soon.
It's a nice pencil, has great weight. I used it so much that it was getting discolored, but Brasso shined it right back up. I apply that once a month now regardless of frequency of use.

That’s intriguing. What is the best model? It looks as though they are made out of differing materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned the cheaper model which sells on Amazon for about $7, but my favorite runs about $12. The grip is good, and my hand does not tire when using it; the eraser is fully functional; and the line put down by the rotating lead (the best feature of this pencil) is smooth and clear.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
i haven’t thought about these in ages ... apparently they are called stacking point pencils and are still available on amazon!

Like this?

1597432874612.png

Top Bottom