What's new

Can we see pics of your lathered mugs?

No, not mugs mugs but your face mug. I feel like I whip up rather excellent lather consistently however comparing how it looks on my face vs all those youtub videos idk. Several very popular videos show a gent taking almost 2 minutes painting and it looks like there is 1/4” of thick lather perfectly and evenly painted. My face looks like my 8 year old frosted a cake with a plastic knife lol. Sure I like a bit more hydrated lather but the differences in comparison over the last several videos is massive. Especially on that third pass when there is little hair for lather to stick to. I’ll post a pic with my next shave after work today.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
We each have our own technique for improving the appearance of our lather - mine looks much improved if I remove my spectacles; in your case, actually in every case, I suggest ignoring Youtube shaving channels 😁 I find thick creamy lather useless for shaving and prefer a thinner lather, especially on the final pass or if using my straight or Feather Artist Club razor. At that point my lather is so hydrated it is translucent and almost running off my face. In my opinion lather that is 1/4" away from your skin does nothing for your shave, but nevertheless some people love thick creamy lather. There is no right and wrong, this wonderful hobby is about you finding out what works best, for you. Were I as incredibly handsome as @FarmerTan then I might post a mug shot but sadly that is not the case; I look forward to seeing those that do.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't do selfies, but anything above 1mm thick is a complete waste. If anyone argued that half of that millimetre is a waste too, I wouldn't disagree, but so long as it's full coverage, I don't care if it's uneven.

It's a razor, not a snow shovel. All I need to do, is lubricate my skin. Thin in applied layer thickness, and thin in consistency (very hydrated, amd not aerated and peaky), is what I aim for. Some folks want "protective" lather. Protective against what? It's me that's holding the razor. I haven't duct taped it to the head of an angry goose, and then started insulting it's mother. The "protection" needed, is control of the driving hand, and that's coming from someone with neurological issues!

I admit, there is a wonderfully luxurious feeling from applying a rich dense lather, but it stops being wonderfully luxurious as soon as I try to run a blade through it. I prefer the wonderfully luxurious feeling of shaving with super slick thin lather. I would find the lather in most PooTube videos, totally unusable. Dry, tuggy, and awareness numbing, which leads to too much pressure and associated discomfort.

No, not mugs mugs but your face mug. I feel like I whip up rather excellent lather consistently however comparing how it looks on my face vs all those youtub videos idk. Several very popular videos show a gent taking almost 2 minutes painting and it looks like there is 1/4” of thick lather perfectly and evenly painted. My face looks like my 8 year old frosted a cake with a plastic knife lol. Sure I like a bit more hydrated lather but the differences in comparison over the last several videos is massive. Especially on that third pass when there is little hair for lather to stick to. I’ll post a pic with my next shave after work today.

Mine never looks like the videos. I think the difference is they often use much more soap or cream and less water, which creates more of a pasty lather. I have found if I start with less water and apply a thicker lather to my face, then go back and add a bit more water with the brush tips (on my face), I get more even coverage. I finish with some painting strokes to smooth everything out.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Next time I shave I'll ask my lovely assistant, my bride, to take a picture of my incredibly handsome face, with lather. But I face lather, so I ain't sure you'll learn much.

Well, you MIGHT learn that I'm even more incredibly handsome with half my face hidden by lather!!!

And some pictures. I have semi-tested different hydration levels and found this one to be slickest for me. Sure looks thin……or does it?
684FC56D-E849-4EBC-97AA-4F5BE1FA8D46.jpeg
B3E2F25E-FFB3-444B-A10E-C3ADC60414A7.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
And some pictures. I have semi-tested different hydration levels and found this one to be slickest for me. Sure looks thin……or does it? View attachment 1471162View attachment 1471163

To me, that looks a little airy on the brush. My lather wouldn't hold that shape. If I produce lather that holds its form like that, I don't personally find it anywhere near slick enough, which is why I don't bowl lather. It's the air content that bulks it up. Imagine cream before and after whipping, and I'd rather lather with the "before" rather than "after". I can get close to that by face lathering, but not bowl lathering. I only use a bowl for loading my brush with creams and very soft soaps, then I build the lather on the face.

Top Bottom