What's new

Can this be fixed easily? (Ever-Ready 1924)

I posted this, along with some other SE's up on the BST without noticing the damage. Saw it today when I was cleaning things up and realized one of the blade stops is broken. Is there an easy (and proper) way to fix something like that?

damaged-shovelhead.png

A good permanent fix may be more effort and cost than the razor’s price. A reinforced epoxy could be used to build a stop that lasts a few shaves.

As a Shovelhead fan, I wonder what the length of that chainlink handle is. 2 5/8” excluding the threads? Hmmm...

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I agree with John (@Tanuki ) -- generally speaking, most would just pick up another Shovelhead. I have known folks who have had some success with J-B Weld. It does usually fail after a bit, but it would let you get in some shaves so you could decide if the 1924 is a razor you like (assuming this is your first one). Basically you just build a blade stop (bump) with the stuff. If you're really adventurous, then there's always brass soldering -- I'm reasonably certain the base plate on this razor is brass. Someone (I can't recall who it was and if it was on this forum somewhere else) made a blade stop on a lather catcher doing some brass soldering work. And the final suggestion is if you're lucky enough to know the right jeweler, they maybe able to do the repair.

If you go the repair route, let us know what you do and how it works. If you get another one, please post that up too!

TobyC was THE authority on shovelheads, and repairs before he disappeared.

If you do go the route of soldering on a stop, the heat from the flame will damage the plating. Unless the razor has some significant value, I would not bother repairing it.

R

romsitsa

It looks like the stop broke just above the comb, so it should still hold the blade. If you want to repair it, cut deeper into the comb, like a negative blade stop (so the brass has more contact surface), solder in a piece of beass strip, file and bend it to shape.

Adam

It's not sentimental at all, it's just of of two shovels I have. Wondered if it was something I could attempt as a DIY. I highly doubt it's worth paying someone to do, unless I find someone locally that does jewelry work as a hobby.

R

romsitsa

It's not sentimental at all, it's just of of two shovels I have. Wondered if it was something I could attempt as a DIY. I highly doubt it's worth paying someone to do, unless I find someone locally that does jewelry work as a hobby.

If you have soft soldering equipment, files and some brass, give it a go, it’s an easier repair and you can’t really ruin it.

Adam

Top Bottom