What's new

Can someone tell me what this black is on a razor cap?

I got this Gillette New De Luxe on the way. It has this black blotch on the cap I don't
know if it is brass that has turned black or or something else. It's funny because the rest of the
razor looks impeccable.
ezgif-4-eebd3c423d.jpg

Looks like tarnish on brass. You probably have some plating loss in the black areas. This has allowed the underlying brass to tarnish (over years, probably). The tarnish can be polished away with a mild metal polish and soft cloth.

I can't say for sure but possibly improper cleaning. Looks like a carbon blade was left in it as well and I don't know if the handle should be matte in the flats

lasta

Blade Biter
Just my opinion, but the top cap plating is beyond saving. I'd bring it down to bare brass.

Re-plate if you find it worthwhile.

Just my opinion, but the top cap plating is beyond saving. I'd bring it down to bare brass.

Re-plate if you find it worthwhile.
You are probably right and I will probably get it replated if that is the case. I don't know if I could just get the top cap replated or not. Guess I'll see when it arrives

You are probably right and I will probably get it replated if that is the case. I don't know if I could just get the top cap replated or not. Guess I'll see when it arrives

I'm guessing Backroads Gold will plate just the cap if that is all you want.

Top Bottom