What's new

Can someone suggest a good pipe Tobacco?

I just rediscovered this old Peterson silver mounted army that I bought half a lifetime ago but never used. Can someone suggest a nice tobacco to buy. I’m not worried about price, but I’m not really a smoker so I’m guessing something very mellow would be best. I’ll leave it to you. I could even purchase a variety if you think that would be a good idea.

Thanks guys!!!

IMG_2242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Ugh... Autocorrect. I proof read the post, but not the title. If a mod sees this can you please fix the mistake in the post title? Thanks.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ugh... Autocorrect. I proof read the post, but not the title. If a mod sees this can you please fix the mistake in the post title? Thanks.

I thought that's what happened.

Have you tried any premium tobacco? Escudo is a nice Va/Per. For over the counter I like Carter Hall. Nice flavor and burns easy. I don't know how much experience you have smoking a pipe. 1792 flake would not be a good starter one.

Let’s assume zero experience smoking a pipe. I never really did get the hang of it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check those out. I have never tried premium tobaccos.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'll second Carter Hall. Prince Albert is another good one, by the same company. Just as easy to find, or easier, depending on your location (my local gas station carries PA, but not CH). Of the two, I prefer Carter Hall, but that's a personal preference. Prince Albert is perfectly delicious.

I had planned on ordering online. Premium tobacco would be of interest. Price is not really a concern. I will grab some PA. Thanks guys.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm getting ready to fire up a bowl of Bow-Legged Bear, but it can be a bit stout in the nicotine department.

Cornell & Diehl - Bow-Legged Bear - Tobacco Reviews

On tobacco reviews go to the Search page then hit "Show more search fields" and you can search by strength, blend type, and other things. It's really not that intimidating...just play with it. I get most of my tobacco from Smokingpipes.

Search Tobaccos

Looks like your choice of Carter Hall and Prince Albert are good ones to start with. They burn well.

Thank you guys. This gives me some good info to get started. I really appreciate the suggestions. I have ordered some PA. Still looking for CH. I will try them both.

Last edited:
OK guys, thanks. I've ordered four tobaccos. I will try the out and let you know how it goes. Thank you again for all the help.

Have a look at the bulk tobaccos at 4noggins and crossreference with tobaccoreviews then just grab a few ounces of stuff that takes your fancy. The bulks are really cheap (especially the 4noggins branded stuff that they blend themselves) so you won't lose out much by experimenting and every one I've tried so far has been extremely high quality.

The Balkan Mix and Beck's Old Limey Bastard are my favorites out of the bulks I've purchased so far but I have discovered a love for latakia which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I asked a similar question a while ago and got loads of excellent recommendations, it might be worth reading through the thread.

Branching out with my tobacco tastes, could I get a little help

Might I suggest Deluxe Crumb Cut from Watch City Cigar? This is a well balanced burley/black cavendish blend with some cocoa and vanilla top notes. I don't think of this as an aromatic even though some might see it that way looking at the list of tobaccos and topping. The tobacco is front and center. It is a very pleasant smoke. The blender, Ernie, at WC does a wonderful job with all their shop blends. I also like their Flake 558, for a easy smoking Virginia with a smidge of Perique.

My order came in today. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
proxy.php

You are off to a nice start. :)

Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish is a fun occasional smoke for me. H&H Burley Kake is a wonderful chocolate cake pleasure and I'm a relative purist that doesn't like many aromatics. I prefer Va/Per and English. Luxury Bullseye Flake is nice as is Luxury Navy Flake. Proper English hits a lot of notes as it is lat heavy but balanced with oriental and virginias. Englishes with Perique tend to favor my palate more but I like complex tasting things and all the different levels.

Thanks for the further suggestions. I just smoked some CH and found it very easy to keep lit using the breath method. It smells chocolate to me when not lit but I didn’t detect too much in the way of flavor while smoking it. Perhaps I need to try something higher on the flavor scale.

Right now I am simply trying to manage heat while keeping the cherry going. I am not using my new pipe yet, but still smoking my old nickel mounted Peterson. I will move to the new Savinelli and silver mounted Peterson once I feel I have developed sufficient proficiency. Luckily I’ve managed several smokes of VA with no tongue bite so I feel like that’s a good thing.

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for all the help and support!

Last edited:
Top Bottom