What's new

Can someone recommend a new knot for me.

So I'm getting the itch for a "new" brush. I have 6... well 4 that are usable. One is the first brush that I bought and I hate it (Best badger can't even remember the brand) the other is a ever ready (I believe a 200 in black and white) that I reknotted with a 26mm HMW bulb from TGN. It sheds so bad that I can't even use it (they replaced the know for me).

The 4 brushes that I have and use are
  • Replacement TGN HMW 26mm bulb knotted in an olive wood handle that I bought off of ebay. I like it, but would like something softer and with similar backbone.
  • TGN HMW 26mm fan. I set the know too high so it has no backbone. I like the softness of the brush though. Also the knot is not a smooth surface. There is a ridge. I'm not sure if the glue bulb broke during the setting or what, but it doesn't really effect the lathering ability.
  • Another vintage handle that I reknotted with a TGN 26 mm HMW. Similar to the first one. Like the backbone, but would like something a bit softer.
  • Parker wood and chrome silvertip. Like the softness, but well... I'm bad with my brushes. I fill the sink with water and put the brush in the sink, thus the wood is splitting. It's not bad at this point, but well I'm going to need a replacement.
I don't want to take the knot out of the Parker. I think the brush still has several more years of good use and I'm afraid I'll damage the knot trying to remove it.

So... what I'm looking for is a knot similar to the Parker. I'm going to put it in a vintage handle (probably since I have a couple laying around). I won't say "money is no object", but I'm not looking for a cheap knot. I would like to keep it from a US supplier as I've had terrible luck from Aliexpress (granted not on shaving gear, but still...). I like my 26mm knots.

Hopefully you all can give me some vendors to look at.

InNae

The oumo/maggards SHD with the bleaching treatment/gel tips have good backbone everywhere but the tips and are very soft... may be a consideration...

Alternately, you have 2 TGN HMW that aren't soft enough and one with a higher loft that is soft enough but lacks backbone... Maybe get another TGN HMW and put the loft somewhere higher than the first two but lower than the third?

Top Bottom