What's new

Can Someone List These In Order Of Sharpness?

These are the blades I have on hand right now and since I have several razor's with differing levels of aggressiveness I like to match the sharper blades to the less aggressive razors and vice-versa. Here's what I have and I'm guessing somewhat as to the order of sharpness...

7 O'Clock (Yellow)
Personna (Red)
Astra SP
Personna Platinums
7 O'Clock (Green)
Derby Extra

thanks!

Even if somebody fills this out, it is only going to be relevant for them. Your face and skin and shaving technique and lather hydration are variables that will make your list different from someone else's.

Even more variable when you throw in different razors.

(Sent from mobile)

Astra SP and Derby are about the same sharpness, but both are prone to rough edges. So they aren't great for ultra aggressive razors. Next would be the Yellows, a goldilocks blade, not too sharp. Perfect place to start with an aggressive razor(of your list). The Personnas and the Greens are roughly the same sharpness, but will feel different depending on the razor. Pernonally, I would start just about any razor with Personnas. Both on your list are the same thing; older ones made in Israel, newer ones made in Germany. There are sharper blades not on your list, you should be able to search the forum and find some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, for your responses. The only point I disagree with is that Derby Extra's and Astra's are fairly equal in sharpness. I have the 100 pks. in both and I can only use the Astra's in my LEAST aggressive razor. The Derby's I can use with almost all of them. Also most posts I have seen on the subject rate the Astra clearly sharper than the Derby's which is usually regarded as one of the dullest blades?

Anyway, I have a very light beard and sensitive skin, and I still am not sure if it's the sharpness of some blades which give me a rough time, or just that some blades are prone to rough edges as one of you mentioned? Since my post, I have used a Gillete Green in my 3rd least aggressive razor and it was SMOOTH. Then used it, (after that one one shave) in my next most aggressive razor and it was alright, but pulled a little. Don't think I'll be trying it in the most aggressive one cause I can feel where that's going.

(If anyone is wondering why I have so many razors of differing aggressiveness, I bought them before I even realized they would be different in that regard. NOOBIE mistake.)

I will repeat what I said in another thread. Bolzanos or Rubies are the smooth blades for your most aggressive razor. They are generally agreed to be less sharp than Astras even.

I assume you mean super stainless when you say green, but there are two gillette 7 o clock greens permasharp(indian) and super stainless from russia. Personally I find the astra sp to be the most sharp or aggressive. All the others are sharp but they are all very smooth and sharp minus derby.

I will repeat what I said in another thread. Bolzanos or Rubies are the smooth blades for your most aggressive razor. They are generally agreed to be less sharp than Astras even.

I get the YMMV thing, but I find the Rubies to be very sharp. Not as sharp as a Nacet, but sharper than a Silver Blue (or Astra, or Gillette Platinum) and about on par with a Wizamet.

I assume you mean super stainless when you say green, but there are two gillette 7 o clock greens permasharp(indian) and super stainless from russia. Personally I find the astra sp to be the most sharp or aggressive. All the others are sharp but they are all very smooth and sharp minus derby.

Thanks, yes I meant the Stainless from Russia.

IMO, I am with you about the Astra's being among the sharpest and the Derby's being a lot less so, but I didn't know where the others fall.

Strangely enough though, there seems to be some disagreement even about that?

Astra SP and Derby are about the same sharpness, but both are prone to rough edges. So they aren't great for ultra aggressive razors. Next would be the Yellows, a goldilocks blade, not too sharp. Perfect place to start with an aggressive razor(of your list). The Personnas and the Greens are roughly the same sharpness, but will feel different depending on the razor. Pernonally, I would start just about any razor with Personnas. Both on your list are the same thing; older ones made in Israel, newer ones made in Germany. There are sharper blades not on your list, you should be able to search the forum and find some.

I have the Derby Extra's, which are the least sharp per the chart. So now I realize the Astra's are sharpest, the Derby's are least sharpest, (that's what I thought per actual use) and the others I have (and am just beginning to use) are all in the same ballpark. Thanks for the chart it clears things up!

I have the Derby Extra's, which are the least sharp per the chart. So now I realize the Astra's are sharpest, the Derby's are least sharpest, (that's what I thought per actual use) and the others I have (and am just beginning to use) are all in the same ballpark. Thanks for the chart it clears things up!

Do you think the sharpness scale on refined shave is accurate? I only have experience with about six double edge blades and it seems fairly accurate.

Thanks all, for your responses. The only point I disagree with is that Derby Extra's and Astra's are fairly equal in sharpness. I have the 100 pks. in both and I can only use the Astra's in my LEAST aggressive razor. The Derby's I can use with almost all of them. Also most posts I have seen on the subject rate the Astra clearly sharper than the Derby's which is usually regarded as one of the dullest blades?

Anyway, I have a very light beard and sensitive skin, and I still am not sure if it's the sharpness of some blades which give me a rough time, or just that some blades are prone to rough edges as one of you mentioned? Since my post, I have used a Gillete Green in my 3rd least aggressive razor and it was SMOOTH. Then used it, (after that one one shave) in my next most aggressive razor and it was alright, but pulled a little. Don't think I'll be trying it in the most aggressive one cause I can feel where that's going.

(If anyone is wondering why I have so many razors of differing aggressiveness, I bought them before I even realized they would be different in that regard. NOOBIE mistake.)

If you like the Derby Extras they are cheap on amazon. You could try the Derby premium blades according to refined shave they are slightly sharper than Derby extras but less sharp than Astra SP. When I started using a double edge in 2012 the first 100 pack I bought was a 100 pack.

Do you think the sharpness scale on refined shave is accurate? I only have experience with about six double edge blades and it seems fairly accurate.

It seems to be. Astra is sharpest and Derby Extra is the least sharp in my experience, and the 2 Gillette's which I am trying now are fairly equivalent and inbetween the Astra's and the Derby's. The Personna's I haven't gotten to yet, but it looks like I will only be able to use the Derby's in my 2nd most aggressive razor, and my most aggressive razor may have to be retired...

Top Bottom