What's new

Can someone help me with my vintage Japanese straight razor

Hello,
So I’m new to this forum and straight razors(got tired of how wasteful disposable razors are). I recently purchased a beautiful vintage Japanese straight razor for pretty cheap and I’m hoping if I can clean it up and hone it nicely that it will be my one razor for the foreseeable future!

The razor’s only markings are R.SAITO KRG, and I think I’m only just realising it’s a kamisori style folding razor. I had a go earlier today at honing it for 5mins but I’ve stopped as I was doing it completely wrong (if it is a kamisori style then I don’t think I should have been honing equally on both sides right?) also I need to purchase some better stones as I have a single wet stone but I’m not sure what grit number it is.

The razor has some beautiful pitting above the edge and I didn’t want to polish it up to much as I like the vintage look but the previous owner has left the whole blade very scrached up from sanding so it needs polishing.

Basically I need advice on what stones to buy for honing, advice on which honing technique is the correct one(kamisori/western) and best way to polish out the scratch marks.

Thank you for any help in advance! :)
D985762B-FF33-4A8B-9112-9AC824488BB4.jpeg
19AA4ECC-B38A-45FA-88DF-07BA0F6381E0.jpeg
9D24EBE4-32EA-48D0-8E6B-8BA955BF6D27.jpeg
7E29E889-B192-4346-9BAB-236DD9693B5B.jpeg

Attachments

• 4BA9DB37-4F6A-4766-BB6D-5BD37F0BCA7C.jpeg
    4BA9DB37-4F6A-4766-BB6D-5BD37F0BCA7C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 24CDD33B-F3A7-4FDD-AB03-EE39C0FE6878.jpeg
    24CDD33B-F3A7-4FDD-AB03-EE39C0FE6878.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • E03D1355-0818-4DDC-8E8E-FE8C44E19E5B.jpeg
    E03D1355-0818-4DDC-8E8E-FE8C44E19E5B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Traditional kamisori is made out of soft steel and hard steel. These folding ones are made out out one piece and ground to a kami like shape. Of course you can find some old Kamis that were retrofitted into scales.
Anyhow, this razor I would hone 1:1.
The problem I see is heavy pitting at the toe so you have to make sure you are getting into good steel and not Swiss cheese.

Thanks for the reply! I didn’t know that about the different types of steel and that explains the kamisori honing ratio. I was hoping the pittting at the toe may not be too much of an issue as if I can get the rest of the edge honed well then I’ll mainly be shaving with the mid section of the blade but I could be wrong. Shall have to see how it goes.

Traditional kamisori is made out of soft steel and hard steel. These folding ones are made out out one piece and ground to a kami like shape. Of course you can find some old Kamis that were retrofitted into scales.
Anyhow, this razor I would hone 1:1.
The problem I see is heavy pitting at the toe so you have to make sure you are getting into good steel and not Swiss cheese.

Hey thanks for the reply, I’ll try do this razor 1:1 then and I think I’ll tape the edge. I’ve tried sharpie on the edge to see how my stone cuts and it takes a few passes to remove it so maybe it’s a 1k? It’s smells like Clay so it could be natural I have no idea.

I’m struggling to know when the bevel is done it seems straight but the razor still don’t cut even arm hair.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different people use different tests to see if the bevel is set. Some see how it cuts a tomato, some drag the razor edge over they thumb nail etc.
Either way the razor has to cut hair for the bevel to be set. The sharpie test will tell how the razor is coming into contact with the stone but it wont tell you anything about how the stone cuts. Setting the bevel on a japanese razor like this I always start with a 1K synthetic.

Different people use different tests to see if the bevel is set. Some see how it cuts a tomato, some drag the razor edge over they thumb nail etc.
Either way the razor has to cut hair for the bevel to be set. The sharpie test will tell how the razor is coming into contact with the stone but it wont tell you anything about how the stone cuts. Setting the bevel on a japanese razor like this I always start with a 1K synthetic.

Okay i does feel rough in places on the fingernail test. Think i need to invest in some proper stones. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom