What's new

Can someone help me to ID this Gillette OC?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say that's a fat handle tech handle with an OC head unit that is not original to the handle.

Other more experienced individuals will correct me if i'm wrong.

Concur with the above two. It is a New Long Comb on a Tech fat handle. The New did come with a fat handle (as in the Red and Black set one), but not this fat handle.

I own one of these with a different handle. I learned it was actually designed to be adjustable. If you screw the head on all the way, then unscrew it just slightly (but not so the head is loose), it widens the blade gap and gives a noticeably more aggressive shave. Great razor.

I like it, let us know how you get on with the shaves.

I own one of these with a different handle. I learned it was actually designed to be adjustable. If you screw the head on all the way, then unscrew it just slightly (but not so the head is loose), it widens the blade gap and gives a noticeably more aggressive shave. Great razor.

TBH it's quite aggressive. getting nicks from it is easy and I have a slant to benchmark with.

I'll open a can of worms. How can we know for sure it's not matching?
For eg. here is also a not matching matching razor.
Interesting travel set with mismatched NEW cap?

Adam
You have an excellent point. More than once, I ended up with a set that had a mismatched head and handle and it seemed that there were times (like before and after the war years where materials were scarce) when Gillette would just match whatever available head with whatever available handle. Only reason I thought it was a mismatch was because the Tech came out later than the New LC and the ball end handles were prone to cracking (and because I like a fat handle with my New and OT heads).

Agree with the others, New LC head but did not know they came in nickel. It is a dandy and should shave great. Nice find!

The nickel finish on the head and baseplate is throwing me off. I’ve never seen a New other than with gold plating, but it is from a New and the handle is from a Tech. If it’s original, then it’s a rare one. Gillette had leftover parts perhaps?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Isn't there some New's from around the 1940's that came England that looked chrome or nickle?

I own a Canadian Regent NEW LC that came in nickel before it's previous owner stripped it off then sold it to me. I've gotten it replated in nickel.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Isn't there some New's from around the 1940's that came England that looked chrome or nickle?
The Brit flat bottom and RFB NEWs came in chrome, or rhodium. I'm not sure how to tell the difference, but they are shiny silver. I have a bunch of them. I also had one of my LC NEWs replated in Nickel, which I like very much

Top Bottom