What's new

Can someone define "heavy" beard?

Hi guys,

As per title - can someone clearly define for me what a "heavy" crop of facial fungus is? Apologies if this has been asked before but it seems to be quite a differing of opinions when it comes to growth. I would consider my beard tough but not really heavy as such - there are areas of my face that are quite sparsely populated with hairs and these only really fill out if I grow it out for a few weeks. I can grow what I consider to be a full beard, kind of like Keanu Reeves - is this considered heavy?

Any thoughts / opinions?

Thanks

R.

As you say, there are different opinions about what is light, moderate, or heavy facial hair. In general, I would say light facial hair means you could go a day or so without shaving and not see much growth. Average or moderate facial hair would be a shadow by the evening. And heavy would be a shadow by the afternoon. Just my general thoughts.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Very YMMV. I saw a survey once where 80 percent of men questioned responded that their facial hair was "tougher" than the average man.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that is a lot of marketing and you just kind of have to put yourself in that demographic if you think it applies.

I think there's the thickness of the individual whiskers and also the density to consider. Thicker whiskers are tougher to cut and then if you have several (dozen) of them to cut through at the same time, that can make it harder too since the force you're applying to the razor is spread out over a larger area.

Is there anywhere in the "heavy beard formula" for how fast someone grows a beard because I can grow a beard in 4 days.

My definition and my personal experence.

If I give a full 3 pass shave with a new DE blade its trashed.
I use a single edge on my first pass and then get two shaves max out of a DE on 2nd passes. Any more than that I just asking for 'bad things go happen'.

My definition and my personal experence.

If I give a full 3 pass shave with a new DE blade its trashed.
I use a single edge on my first pass and then get two shaves max out of a DE on 2nd passes. Any more than that I just asking for 'bad things go happen'.

^This.

Definitely YMMV, but some people have heavy beards for sure, and some (for sure) do not. I have as heavy a beard as I've ever seen or heard of… It covers my entire face and neck with zero gaps. If I don't shave for a week, I have what people would call a "beard". Not a huge beard, obviously, but if I trimmed up my neck and cheeks after a week, I would have a presentable beard. Even when shaving with the 2011 R41, I have shadow within less than 12 hours. And trust me, I know how to use my 2011, and my BBS from it is just that…. BBS, by any definition. I just don't buy the "you aren't using it properly" argument for one second. :wink2:
My whiskers are extremely coarse, thick, and rough. A day of growth feels like 60 grit sandpaper. As far as thickness goes, my whiskers are drastically thicker than say, arm hair or head hair. Almost closer to some types of dental floss (obviously not the super wide dental floss :lol: ).

So to me, that's what a "heavy" beard is. Hopefully this maybe helps?

I have the toughest beard alive. Or dead.

most definitely. Ouch might be in the running though, that guy is something else. August West as well, they may be the same person.

But yeah, the times that i go for a BBS. I end up feeling stubble a few hours later. BBS shaves for me don't last, does that mean i have a heavy beard/stuble? i have no idea.

I correlate heavy beard to mean density times thickness (i.e. lots of hairs per square inch of face and each hair is thick and tough to cut). I don't think fast growth makes a beard heavy. A guy with a thin, sparse beard could have a fast growth rate, it wouldn't make his beard "heavy". I liken "heavy" to the tough patches of weeds that cause my lawn mower to stall (too dense and too hard to cut).

I was just considering this as I'm beginning to go straight. I've got large diameter whiskers that are densely populated. I tend to prefer heavier razors since they move through my beard better with minimal effort and gravity.

Hi guys,

As per title - can someone clearly define for me what a "heavy" crop of facial fungus is?
$zz-top.jpeg
Very YMMV. I saw a survey once where 80 percent of men questioned responded that their facial hair was "tougher" than the average man.
Actually, this is possible. Mean is a lousy measure of central tendency; it skews when values are not evenly distributed. Median is much better.

Actually, I'd like to see an analysis by ethnic group. That could be fascinating.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If you shave your forehead ... don't laugh; I worked with a Neanderthal once that had to.

His eyebrows just grew UP the forehead and met with his hair.

Dude was so hairy, he had to part his arm hair with a finger to read his watch.

He was known as "THG." Three guesses ...

AA

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I would go with whiskers per square inch. [MENTION=59338]Toothpick[/MENTION] has one of the heaviest beards I've ever seen and he can go from BBS to full on, fearsome Norse God of Thunder beard in about 4 days. Mine takes a good 4-5 weeks to get there and it's nowhere near as heavy, not a sparse lightweight one, but no Beard Wars winner.

Top Bottom