What's new

Can SE blades make you lazy?

With DE blades I usually kept quite a close eye on how many shaves each had been used for, and when my attention slipped they quickly reminded me of their age by giving poor and uncomfortable shaves. With SE blades, however, and in particular the AC ones I've been mostly using for a couple of years, I tend to lose count of how often I've used them. They just seem to go on and on, without their performance diving off a clifff. Instead, they lose their sharpness gradually, but without becoming at all uncomfortable. When I do replace them I'm quite often surprised by how much sharper a fresh blade is. Just an observation.

This is just about right.

I use Gem PTFE blades more than DE blades and has been my experience. The feeling of "tugging" with a dull DE blade isn't as pronounced or felt with an SE blade as it slowly dulls.

I am often surprised when I read many shavers report they get only 5 to 6 shaves from an SE blade. YMMV and all considered, I get minimum 20 shaves from any SE blade compared to 5 on a DE blade. And i palm strop them.

Last edited:
I would generally agree, but at the same time I don't get how a thicker blade would stay sharp longer. I can get about 6 shaves out of a GEM before it stops cutting whiskers satisfactorily. By that I mean that I have to start going over areas more times for the same closeness as I get from a fresh blade. I end up with the same irritation I get from a razor that is too mild. Just too many passes. I can get 6 shaves out of certain DE blades with about the same results, most give me 4 shaves before I toss them.

So again, I would agree with the OP in that the transition from new/sharp to not-sharp-enough is smoother and slightly longer than a DE, but not by a ton.

For me, the GEM blade is all about the way it shaves. It is unlike any DE blade, no matter what type, brand, sharpness, etc. You can purchase multiple of 100 packs from Connaught (I forget how many is needed) that brings the price per blade down to typical quality DE blade prices (in 100 amounts). The fact that I get a solid 6 shaves out of each blade makes them more inexpensive than Gillette Yellow, Nacet, Perma-sharp Super, etc. This is just a bonus.

I’ve recently seen a thread indicating that with a microscope it could be seen that blades chip, not just wear down. If that is the case if might be that the thicker blade doesn’t chip so easily as a thin DE. Just a guess

That is a very reasonable possibility, IMO. I would take that a step further and say that it's possible some DE blades "chip" easier than others. When I tested the Kai blade, I noticed it did have that gradual, decreasing sharpness that GEM blades seem to have. Other DE blades that seem to start out around the same sharpness as the Kai go very quickly (3 - 4 shaves) in comparison. I got up to 8 blades shaves with the Kai before it just became too dull for me to shave, which is about what GEM blades give me.

Your logical hypothesis had not occurred to me. Good one.

I found that the Schick injector blades can last for a month or longer. The best DE can last up to 2 weeks. Add to that the SE blade remains in the razor in between uses and it does keep me from reaching for other razors.

I still haven't had one SE blade (except GEM as I don't have one razor) that lasted more than my fav DE blades.... I think it's all YMM and the price you pay for them...... would be interesting to try on blinded users....give em free generic blades....

I have also read (and it makes sense to me) that the shave angle of the blade determines how quickly the blade dulls and chips.

The built in shaving angles of single edge blades is much shallower than DE blades, so that in itself should make the single edge blade, whether Injector or GEM, last longer.

I’m sure the thickness of the blade plays a role, but, as I thought about it more (usually while shaving 🙂) it occurred to me that you can’t just make the double edge blade thicker, or the Single edge blade thinner. They were designed that way for a reason.

The thin blade/edge of the DE is needed to allow it to flex; the flexing is also what helps give it some rigidity. Both design elements work together to enable a “rigid” edge that doesn’t chatter (although I believe we all know that a DE blades chatters way more than a SE blade, which contributes to the excellent feel of a single edge shave, which is Smoooothhhh….).

The necessary arch of the DE blade requires a steeper shave angle.

So, as it always is with design, there are compromises and choices. The DE goes for longer blade life through having two cutting edges.
The SE goes for more blade life through having a more rigid blade that allows for a shallower angle of attack for longer blade life.
Because of those two very different design choices, the two shave differently.
A SE has very low chatter, and cuts very smoothly and closely, but, because of its rigidity and shallow angle of attack, it can unforgiving of abrupt elevation changes, like the flap on the back of my head. Because of this, I do not use GEMs to shave my head. An injector works a bit better, but only because its flat surface is smaller and the blade angle can adjust quicker to elevation changes.
A DE is a bit more forgiving due to the steeper angle, so I will use it to shave my head. It can adjust easier for elevation changes, but doesn’t shave as smoothly, presumably due to blade chatter.

I’m not sure, but my hypothesis is that the thin, arched blade of the DE was a design compromise to allow two edges on the razor without needing too much steel, which would drive up materials and manufacturing costs, and result in higher blade costs to consumers.

The single edge blade, however, is much thicker. This allows the blade to be flat, non-arched, and gives it enough “backbone” to allow a very flat attack angle on the whiskers, which does not dull and chip the blades as much. Therefore, the blade last longer, with the trade off of more up front costs.

Just my opinion, but I believe part of the reason that blades last longer for some people than they do for others is the shaving angle - for the above reasons.
Of course, whisker type also plays a role.

There is a DE that is a very good compromise. That is the “Tech” types with the curved blade bed and top cover that actually sandwich the blade tightly between the two. These style DE razors seem to me to be more rigid, and more similar to a GEM or injector. I can use a very sharp blade in these (Feather) and get an extremely smooth and close shave, and very good blade life. I presume it is because of the rigidity and lack of chatter. Also because these encourage a shallow (for a DE) shaving angle.

Sorry for the ramble… My $0.02 🙂

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This interesting simple photo that might help explain why a SE blade lasts a little longer. A SE blade thickness are 9/1000 of inch where most DE blades range on average 3.5/1000 of a inch blade thickness so there is more blade backing the cutting edge plus the angle for a SE blade is more beneficial for longevity and strength IMO.
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom