What's new

Can I melt down VDH?

I've realized, as odd as it sounds I really enjoy the lather I get with a VDH and C.O. Big superlather. Problem I have is I have a little green bowl that came with the VDH and unfortunately it is bigger than the puck so when I add water to soften it and even swirl a brush on it I have this 1/2" gap or so all around the puck. So I want to melt it down in the bowl and make it fit to the bowl. Problem is even if I can do it....How do I do it? I've never melted down any soaps before so a "melting soaps for dummies" guide would be great. :blushing:

Simply put soap in microwave, a 4-5 second burst should melt it down, let cool and your done. You can even add your favorite AS for some frag. Enjoy.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yes, it's glycerin, not triple milled or tallow.

i left my first puck of VDH in a hot car and came back to find it had completely liquified. when i emailed van der hagen they told me that this is how they get the soap into the plastic container during production...they pour it in hot.

when it cools, it'll be whatever shape you want with whatever extra stuff you want in it. :thumbup1:

yes, it melts really nice! i added half a shot glass of AV musk to a melted VDH puck, poured it into my shave mug, stirred and chilled in fridge overnight, used it in the morning, very nice scent and shave!:thumbup1:

yes, it melts really nice! i added half a shot glass of AV musk to a melted VDH puck, poured it into my shave mug, stirred and chilled in fridge overnight, used it in the morning, very nice scent and shave!:thumbup1:

I did the same with Clubman's Bay Rum AS!! I loved that soap!!

As it's already been said, it can be melted down. I like to melt a couple pucks down and put them in a bowl or mug. I've heard mixed things on using a microwave. What I do is I take a sauce pan and fill it with water and put the bowl or container that I'm planning to use. Then I boil the water. The trick is not to put in too much water, you don't want the water to boil and run into to bowl. This double-broiler method works great.

I'm a newbie to soaps. Does this melting method not work for triple milled or tallow soaps? What works for these?

Some soaps will not physically melt. Mitchell's Wool Fat is an excellent example. Glycerine soaps will melt easily. Other tallow based soaps willnot melt.

Some soaps will not physically melt. Mitchell's Wool Fat is an excellent example. Glycerine soaps will melt easily. Other tallow based soaps willnot melt.

All soaps will melt, that's not the problem. The issue is that any soap with tallow in it will also burn when melted, and become useless for shaving. Those soaps can be smooshed, chopped up or finely grated into new containers.

I have had several weeks worth of mediocre results and virtually no scent from Cade after heating in the microwave for 10 seconds to help it fit into my bowl. Even after trying every trick I've found in the Cade threads I have had no luck. Could the microwave cause this dismal performance? I REALLY wanted to love this soap ( my 4 month old son is named Cade) but I'm ready to just throw it away.

Top Bottom