What's new

Can i load a single edge razor blade in DE Razor

Hi Badgeteers!

I cannot find the DE razor blade i am looking for, but the store has the same blade in single edge.

My question is:

1. Can i load a single edge razor blade in my Edwin Jagger DE89?

Additional questions:

2. Will it be compatible?
Will I still get a great shave? :straight:
4. Will the single edge blade cut different, or have a different feel.. to its double edge counterpart?

Thanks.:thumbup1:

Looking at the DE blades being split into half...I would say the DE89 won't be able to hold the blade securely during a shave.
I use both DE and Single edge blade razors (shavette)

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Half of the DE blade or even the injector blade can be put into the DE razor, tightening the screws is enough to completely secure.
Invert the cap > put the blade > align the blade against the post > put the plate > tighten the handle.

But must pay attention to the alignment when you put in.
It's worth trying, it's not difficult, others on the B&B have also tried.

R

romsitsa

In general, no. There are some DE's which will work with injector blades, like Ronson or unbranded Single ring clones with a flat base plate, but the majority won't.
DE heads bend the blade which can't be done with an injector.
GEM type blades are not compatible at all.

th
In general, no. There are some DE's which will work with injector blades, like Ronson or unbranded Single ring clones with a flat base plate, but the majority won't.
DE heads bend the blade which can't be done with an injector.
GEM type blades are not compatible at all.
[/QUOT

Thanks for the great reply! it does make sense..alot of sense!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hi Badgeteers!

I cannot find the DE razor blade i am looking for, but the store has the same blade in single edge.

My question is:

Additional questions:

4. Will the single edge blade cut different, or have a different feel.. to its double edge counterpart?

I am curious as to why you would want to?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

By this you mean "half-DE"? Most of the dedicated hair shaper blades that look like half-DE blades that I've seen are also thicker than a normal DE blade. They can't be bent by the hair shaper or shavette they're meant to fit, so they need to be thicker for edge rigidity.

Probably not. A DE razor is designed to clamp a regular DE blade. It would be hard to align and it would not stay aligned.

Not likely. A DE razor is designed to work with a DE blade. Cut the blade in half, and you've not only reduced your
clamping area by 50 percent, you've also made it impossible for the head to curve the blade.

3. Will I still get a great shave? :straight:

Great? No. You'll be lucky not to cut heck out of yourself, is my opinion. It'll take off hair, but an antique hog scraper from eBay will do that.

Well, it would cut differently. Possibly in a more dangerous way. That could make it feel different! Even if you take a DE blade, snap it in half and put it in a razor the half-blade will act and feel differently than if it were still a whole blade.

You have two legs, I assume. If we remove one, you can still get around and even wear the same pants and shoes you wore before, just differently. As a human you're designed to get around on two legs, not one or three.

My advice, offered without cost or expectation, is to stick to DE blades in DE razors. If the only format you can get your favourite blade in is a half-DE hair shaper blade, then acquire a razor designed to use that blade, instead of the other way around. If it's your favourite blade, you may find you like it BETTER when you use it like it's intended.

We can argue all day about it, but I don't tend to class a half-DE as a true "single edge." It feels to me like taking one wheel off a bicycle and calling it a unicycle. If you want to explore SE shaving, I suggest looking into injectors, AC and Gem style razors and buying the blades that fit them.

No problem. Cheers, eh!

O.H.

Old Hippie

Maybe I can make up for being a bit opinionated...

There ARE razors out there made to accept the half-DE. Also, because a year or so back I read Every. Single. Post. on this subforum all the way back to the beginning, I know that over the years various tinkerers (not meaning any disrespect) have cut one side off a DE head and tried to use it as a "single edge" razor. Perhaps that's where some of the inspiration comes from? Or maybe from "parallel evolution."

Focus R48 and R50 come to mind, although they're designed specifically for snapped DE blades. The manufacturer says the bent tabs left from snapping a blade in half are actually part of the tensioning system for holding the razor together.

In my opinion, while it's always interesting to play with something and see if you can make it work, "making it work" is sometimes a long ways from "it works well." I generally have better experiences with tools if I use them as they are designed to be used.

O.H.

Hi Badgeteers!

My question is:

Additional questions:

What DE blade are you looking for?

I am curious as to why you would want to?
I got a sample tuck of Lord's Platinum DE blades, but I can only find the same brand in Single edge blades where I live. Not that I wanted to, but because I really liked the sample blades so I wà hoping I can insert a single edge blade in my DE 89

By this you mean "half-DE"? Most of the dedicated hair shaper blades that look like half-DE blades that I've seen are also thicker than a normal DE blade. They can't be bent by the hair shaper or shavette they're meant to fit, so they need to be thicker for edge rigidity.

Probably not. A DE razor is designed to clamp a regular DE blade. It would be hard to align and it would not stay aligned.

Not likely. A DE razor is designed to work with a DE blade. Cut the blade in half, and you've not only reduced your
clamping area by 50 percent, you've also made it impossible for the head to curve the blade.

Great? No. You'll be lucky not to cut heck out of yourself, is my opinion. It'll take off hair, but an antique hog scraper from eBay will do that.

Well, it would cut differently. Possibly in a more dangerous way. That could make it feel different! Even if you take a DE blade, snap it in half and put it in a razor the half-blade will act and feel differently than if it were still a whole blade.

You have two legs, I assume. If we remove one, you can still get around and even wear the same pants and shoes you wore before, just differently. As a human you're designed to get around on two legs, not one or three.

My advice, offered without cost or expectation, is to stick to DE blades in DE razors. If the only format you can get your favourite blade in is a half-DE hair shaper blade, then acquire a razor designed to use that blade, instead of the other way around. If it's your favourite blade, you may find you like it BETTER when you use it like it's intended.

We can argue all day about it, but I don't tend to class a half-DE as a true "single edge." It feels to me like taking one wheel off a bicycle and calling it a unicycle. If you want to explore SE shaving, I suggest looking into injectors, AC and Gem style razors and buying the blades that fit them.

No problem. Cheers, eh!

O.H.
Thanks again for the explanation and elaborating. Really appreciate it

Old Hippie

I got a sample tuck of Lord's Platinum DE blades, but I can only find the same brand in Single edge blades where I live. Not that I wanted to, but because I really liked the sample blades so I wà hoping I can insert a single edge blade in my DE 89

Really, here's the thing: It won't NOT work. It may not work as well as you hope -- but it may. That will come down, in my opinion, to how well your razor clamps the blade. It won't have the stabilizing effect of the pins and stud going through the blade, nor the extra clamping force that would normally be on the other side of the blade. Be careful of overtightening the handle!

I imagine the kind of razor head that would clamp a half-DE well enough to be safe(ish) is one that has a lot of surface contact between the cap and baseplate. Some razors with those skinny little bars on the base and a cap that only touches the blade on the outside of those bars probably won't work well for this. I look at the Wunderbar and the BBS and I see that it looks like they might work. There are others -- I don't seem to run across as many new razors (particularly budget razors) that look good that way, but there are some vintage ones also out there.

O.H.

Yes, you can snap the blades in half and use them in a shavette; do it while they're still in the paper wrapper.

Thank you! I have a lot of DE blades and since I never used a shavette before I will not buy the single blades yet.

Top Bottom