What's new

Can I get away using a four-sided paddle strop?

I'm new to honing straight razors. I'm wondering if I could get away with just using a four-sided paddle strop with pastes in 3, 1, and .5 micron. Would people still recommend something like a Norton 4K/8K stone or would I be okay with the paddle strop alone. Also, what are peoples' thoughts on sharpening paste in .25 micron? Is it necessary or does it just give the blade an edge that is way too sharp?

Additionally, if I'm just maintaining a handful of razors, how long would it be before I'd need to repaste each side of the strop?

Thanks, B&B!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The paddle strop will work well on razors that are already close to being shave-ready. They will not restore a damaged edge. I would say, 'use it 'til you can't'.

The pastes last a long time. A lot longer than you might think. The time to change it is when it quits working. That time will vary quite a bit dpending on how many strokes, how much pressure you apply, etc...

I agree. For basic maintenance of shave ready razors .5 and .25 is all you need. I don't see a need for the 3 micron and even the 1 you won't need much. .25 will put a very keen edge on but most will agree a .25 diamond will make the shave a tad on the harsh side. CrO is probably a better alternative for that final polish.

At some point you will need to rehone but that could take a very long time. The question is will the 1 micron extend that time frame over the .5. personally I don't think so.

So I've got a strop and the back is pasted with .5 CrO. Other than that, what else would I need to maintain my straight razors myself? I'm looking for the most cost effective manner to maintain my razors, so I'd prefer to stay away from the more expensive options. Thanks again.

So I've got a strop and the back is pasted with .5 CrO. Other than that, what else would I need to maintain my straight razors myself? I'm looking for the most cost effective manner to maintain my razors, so I'd prefer to stay away from the more expensive options. Thanks again.

I am one that uses a DMT 8EE diamond plate. They do not have to be lapped and they will hone a bevel back into a good razor. Cost is about $60 if I remember correctly. You can stop with the 0.5 Chromium off the 8EE and a lot of guys do and love it.

I use the paddle strop and have 3.0,1.0,0.5, and 0.25 pastes on said paddle. One could leave off the 3.0 and go with the Chromium instead of 3.0 if so inclined because some guys like the Chromium finish. I like the 0.25 paste and would not trade the shave off this paste for anything. I get silly sharp razors that are easy to maintain. I have been doing straights for about 7 months now and have had to hone my main razor once. I have to touch up the edge with the pastes about every 7 or 8 shaves, which takes about 5 minutes.

Take Care,
Richard Adams

Eventually, your daily shavers will need to visit a hone but there is no reason you cannot maintain them for a very long time with a pasted strop. Be aware that razors which have spent a great deal of time on pasted strops will develop a frown over time. Sooner or later, you will probably want to hone it out.

Before I got a very fine Japanese hone, I too preferred the edge off of the .25 micron pastes. Part of the fun of straights is figuring out what you like. Experiment, experiment, experiment. If you prefer diamond pastes, keep using them.

Eventually, your daily shavers will need to visit a hone but there is no reason you cannot maintain them for a very long time with a pasted strop. Be aware that razors which have spent a great deal of time on pasted strops will develop a frown over time. Sooner or later, you will probably want to hone it out.

Before I got a very fine Japanese hone, I too preferred the edge off of the .25 micron pastes. Part of the fun of straights is figuring out what you like. Experiment, experiment, experiment. If you prefer diamond pastes, keep using them.

You say you got a fine Japanese hone and use to shave off 0.25? I have not heard about the frown aspect before. Using the Japanese hone how do the shaves compare to the 0.25 paste? You obviously like a very sharp blade, just curious to learn more and possibly look at new avenues.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Edges off of the Muruichi Maruka are...bliss. Sharp, sharp sharp and smooth like butter. I don't know that they are as sharp as the .25 micron diamond paste but they are far smoother. Even taking its rather steep price tag into consideration, I cannot say enough good things about it.

I am one that uses a DMT 8EE diamond plate. They do not have to be lapped and they will hone a bevel back into a good razor. Cost is about $60 if I remember correctly. You can stop with the 0.5 Chromium off the 8EE and a lot of guys do and love it.

I'm currently using this same set up but I can't seem to get the edge sharp enough on the DMT 8EE. I've read the razor should pass the hanging hair test off the DMT before even stropping on the paste but I can get it to easily shave arm hair but can't get it to hanging hair sharp for anything and this is after about 4 hours of honing. Are you getting your razor that sharp from the DMT 8EE before the pasted strop?

I'm currently using this same set up but I can't seem to get the edge sharp enough on the DMT 8EE. I've read the razor should pass the hanging hair test off the DMT before even stropping on the paste but I can get it to easily shave arm hair but can't get it to hanging hair sharp for anything and this is after about 4 hours of honing. Are you getting your razor that sharp from the DMT 8EE before the pasted strop?

You are probably over honing if you take 4 hours but that would depend on it being a huge wedge. I use the DMT to set the edge and then go to the pastes. The DMT is 3 microns and that would be one harsh shave. I typically take about 7 or 8 laps on the DMT for a razor that just needs to have an existing edge re-established. A fully ground E-Bay, 6/8 takes about 15 laps with the first ones having a little pressure and the last 5 or 6 with little or no pressure on the edge. I then go to 1 micron (8 laps), 0.5 micron (10 laps) and then the 0.25 micron paste for about 15 laps. The total for the razor is about 10 minutes total.

Later,
Richard

I tested the sharpness about every 20 passes or so but can't get it as sharp as I think it needs to be based on reading some posts here so that's why the 4 hours or so. The edge was an antique store find and in good condition but obviously not very sharp so its taking a lot more work than a new razor to get shave ready. What I'm wondering is just how sharp your razor is after the DMT stage before the pastes? Is is hanging hair sharp?

Thanks

NO! You have to establish an even edge on the razor and it will not be very sharp. You get the HHT after you do the pastes.

Later,
R

I tested the sharpness about every 20 passes or so but can't get it as sharp as I think it needs to be based on reading some posts here so that's why the 4 hours or so. The edge was an antique store find and in good condition but obviously not very sharp so its taking a lot more work than a new razor to get shave ready. What I'm wondering is just how sharp your razor is after the DMT stage before the pastes? Is is hanging hair sharp?

Thanks

If there is little or no bevel on the razor, you could be there a while! One of the benefits to having a range of hones is that if you are not making progress with one you can use another. One some razors with no bevel, I have dropped as low as a 800 grit hone. Twenty or thirty minutes and three or four hones later, I have had some sweet shavers.

I definitely have a good bevel, I could visually see it created vs. the old bevel and also did the black marker on the edge test and had a uniform, new bevel. I spent a lot of time in the bevel creation stage and followed the instructions read here and the video honing series as well so I know the bevel is ok off the 8k for now, it's just that I've read in posts (I believe Joel's interactive guide) that you should be HHT sharp after the 8k work is done. I can get it almost there but not quite and the .5 micron passes are definitely helping but aren't quite getting it there either.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The bevels may look good but if they are not meeting, your edge still needs work. If you are not there yet, you need to go back to lower grits.

HHT is not the only indicator but it is a good one. On many razors, I can do HHT off a 1200 grit DMT (might be a rough shave :smile:). It is only a matter of polishing the edge after that.

Top Bottom