What's new

Can honing with alternating toe and heal leading strokes lead to micro chipping?

Yeah, we pretty much all agree that a microscope can't tell you exactly how an edge will shave. I can tell you that there is no "may" involved in whether oil will give you distortion in your image. It absolutely will. The refractive index of oil and air are drastically different, which means that the light will be bent/deflected when it goes through the oil, giving you a very untrue picture of what's underneath. It's generally accepted that when using a microscope you shouldn't worry so much about what the bevel scratches look like. For our purposes, concentrate on what the apex looks like.

Oh, and use your lighting to enhance the contrast. You can get some pretty good images out of a cheap microscope with good technique. Sometimes that requires a lot of experimentation with the angle of both the subject and the light. Before I got my nicer microscopes I used a cheap Celestron digital. Here are a couple shots of a bevel set with 1K Chosera from that scope.

Final bevel set:

$Chosera1k Raking Light.jpg

Showing formation and separation of a foil edge:

$Chosera 1k Foil Raking Light.jpg

Oh, and use your lighting to enhance the contrast. You can get some pretty good images out of a cheap microscope with good technique. Sometimes that requires a lot of experimentation with the angle of both the subject and the light. Before I got my nicer microscopes I used a cheap Celestron digital. Here are a couple shots of a bevel set with 1K Chosera from that scope.

Final bevel set:

View attachment 1306854

Showing formation and separation of a foil edge:

View attachment 1306853
That is impressive:)

Top Bottom