What's new

Can Hanging strops be folded or rolled up?

I am a newbie and have a dumb question.

I was on Tony's site and he has a Apprentice strop that can be rolled up. He also has a basic linen and leather hanging strop. Can the hanging strops be folded over or rolled up? I have limited space and would just like to store it in a box between uses. Will this mess up the leather?

I like the apprentice strop; but it does not have a linen component.

So long as you don't crease it, I suppose you could. I wouldn't though. You really do want a flat surface for stropping, especially starting out. Why not hang it from a coat hanger and put it in the closet?

The apprentice strop may not have linen, but you won't miss it if you've never used it.

The apprentice strop kicks ***, period. Get one! Heck, get two!:001_smile

And a hanging strop takes up about zero space. Put a storage hook up in a corner, or on the back of a door or soemthing and hang it there. Don't put your new strop away in a box where it can get all wrinkly and musty. Treat it right, and it will treat you right!

If you really still want to roll up your strop, get Tony's "vegen" synthetic strop. I imagine you can do whatever you like to that one short of nuclear holocaust and it will probably be fine. But I prefer the "tradition" of real leather.

Mr-,

I wonder as Seraphim wonders why you would need to box and store a strop between uses. If you can leave it hang on the hook you use while stropping, that is the best scenario. If you must remove it and bring it elsewhere between shaves, can you hang it in the other place? If not, gentle rolling should be fine - no tight circles. Avoid folding it as creases are bad and are really difficult, maybe impossible, to undo.

good shaving, good storage,

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
My Starter can be rolled smooth, skin side out, gently for travel but I don't suggest keeping it rolled up for storage. Maybe a 7" diameter circle at the tightest.

On any of my linen/cotton strops rolling is not the best idea. The extra component and thickness just does not favor rolling. I gently roll them into a 9inch square box when I ship them but that is for 3-4 days at best.

Rolling it skin side in will destroy it and since each of these are my babies you will be banned from buying another from me for one year :)

Tony

Top Bottom