What's new

Can duller blades result in closer shaves?

If your are getting a closer shave with a less sharp blade, it is only because you are shaving with excessive pressure to compensate for the "dull" blade. As soon as the apex of the blade contacts the outer sheath of the hair, it begins to penetrate the sheath at that point. Then as the leading edge penetrates further, the wedge shape of the blade forces the two parts of the hair in opposite directions until the hair is severed.

There may be some truth to the claim that a dual edge blade like the old Schick dual injector blades or modern multi-blade cartridges might produce a closer shave as the first edge starts to lift the hair follicle and the second blade then may be able to penetrate further down the hair shaft, closer to the skin. However, this can create a problem for those subject to in-grown hairs, especially if shaving ATG.

Well, for me, Feathers. But blades are very ymmv.

I had bad experiences with Feathers as well, early on in my wet-shaving journey. But honestly, I have yet to find a sharp blade that is actually rough as well. The only ones I've considered rough were just not sharp enough to cut through my beard, such as Personna Blues and Astra SP's to name a few, which many love.

I have some Feathers on deck for re-test though, we'll see how that goes!

Seems to me that if the blade is on the face, it will cut at the same level dull or sharp. A duller blade, moving slightly above the face and not immediately cutting, may just ride over the whisker.

Seems to me that if the blade is on the face, it will cut at the same level dull or sharp. A duller blade, moving slightly above the face and not immediately cutting, may just ride over the whisker.

Remember that skin is an elastic substance. When you apply pressure to your face, your skin deforms, changing the angle of attack between the blade and your skin. The greater the pressure, the greater the deformation. That is why you should shave with minimal pressure using a blade sharp enough to get the job done. Some people can use less sharp blades like Merkur, Shark Chrome and Derby Extra. Some people with tough beards are better off with super sharp blades like Feather, Nacet, BIC, and PermaSharp Super. The majority of folks, however, can readily use blades in the middle of the sharpness range.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll say this: @P1C0 raises a great question, because this thread is full of responses that have big words that I had to look up their meanings!

My answer is this, just like @alla2465 said in post number 3: No

This feels like academic peer review :biggrin1:

I would personally go with the following answer:
I think a blade only needs to be sharp enough to cut through the hair without tugging or pulling. Any sharper than that does not necessarily improve the shave result. IOW, there is a range of sharpness that will work well.

I cannot see how a super sharp or an infinitely sharp edge could provide a closer shave, a less sharp blade attacking the skin at a shallow angle would allow any minimal pressure (as soon as there is contact there is presure) to lift the hair follicle and creep under the hair more effectively.

Well, I only use vintage blades, top brand ones, and I cant attest to quantifiable evidence but nothing modern cuts as close, as smooth and as often. For me or for 99.9 % of the people who try them and report their results.

I've been entertaining this theory that a duller blade can cut a hair shorter than a sharper blade, because of the point at which the cut will take place.
View attachment 1114613
The closest shave will be achieved without a doubt via an ATG pass. So, the hair as seen on the left hand of the picture will be attacked by the blade from its right. Now, a very sharp blade will almost immediately cut the hair upon contact, whereas a duller one will manage to lift the hair up a bit, slide closer to its root as a result, and eventually cut it, i.e., the hair will be able to resist getting cut until enough resistance is built for the cut to take place.

Of course the drawing is terrible, but that is how I envision the mechanics behind my theory.

However, if the blade is too dull, perhaps it pushes the hair all the way to the other side, so I guess that the best blade would be the one that manages to verticalize the hair before cutting it.

Certainly, my evidence is anecdotal and biased, but I started thinking about that whenever I shaved with a very sharp blade and ended up with more irritation than a close shave.
This mechanics reminds me of the "multiple" blade theory......
Sharp blades rule! I am OK w one, but will sometimes use 1-3....:letterk1:

No. But Derby fans will tell you otherwise!
😆 You ain't lying. Starting with Derby blades was a huge mistake for me. I actually stopped wetshaving for years. I came back 2 years ago and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I now use sharper blades like: Gillette 7oclock Super Stainless, and Gillette Silver Blue. Going too aggressive or too smooth like Feather and Derby is a mistake, imo.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
😆 You ain't lying. Starting with Derby blades was a huge mistake for me. I actually stopped wetshaving for years. I came back 2 years ago and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I now use sharper blades like: Gillette 7oclock Super Stainless, and Gillette Silver Blue. Going too aggressive or too smooth like Feather and Derby is a mistake, imo.
PERFECTLY stated.

Top Bottom