What's new

Can broken bakelite razor cases be repaired?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I was wondering if anybody has had any luck repairing broken bakelite razor cases or know of someone who can do that?

Having a challenge getting a razor and case restored back to original condition:
BrokenBakeliteBox.jpg

You can probably get a reasonably close color match with a Brownell's Acra-Glas brown kit and a brown and red Sharpie for final finishing.

Remove the lid. Pull the brass pin out from the broken side and use a 1/16" drill bit and a pin vise to run the hole all the way through the retaining nub on the bottom portion of the case.

Use the same bit to drill the hole in the lid, where the fracture is, deeper, and clean the fractured area with alcohol. Push in a 2" or so piece of 1/16" brass rod (from Ace Hardware, Hobby Lobby, etc..) AFTER FULLY COATING IT WITH WAX. Rubbing it on a candle, Chapstick, or the release compound with the Acra-Glas will all work. MAKE SURE you do not get any wax on the fractured area of the lid. Use a small piece of painters' tape as a mold around the fracture, and use a toothpick to dab in the Acra-Glass. Let dry, then remove the tape, use a pair of pliers to GENTLY remove your brass rod and do final contour finishing with a needle file. Touch up your color, if needed, with the red and/or brown Sharpie.

Cut a new piece of the rod, just long enough to almost top out in the hinge-hole. Use your needle file to make a point on one end, a flat on the other. gently drive your nail into the hinge. If you're really industrious, use a punch to counter-sink it, then cap the hole with a dab of Acra-Glas.

You can probably use JB weld, I've just never tried coloring it brown.

R

romsitsa

Repaired a few, basically the same method as described above. You can cast a solid piece from translucent resin (two component epoxie glue) tinted with acrylic or enamel paint and once cured drill out the hole.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Just an additional note. I had a pretty scratched up Bakelite razor case. I used Simichrome on it... just once and the scratches disappeared. It looks pristine.. like brand new.

Top Bottom