What's new

Can Badger Hair Give Rash?

I bought a (fairly gorgeous!) Parker Silvertip Badger shaving brush with a heavy metal handle on Amazon, driven by the great reviews. Cost me close to CAD $100 or USD $75 so this was by no means a cheap brush, I rationalized!

Great build quality, with a certain heft in the handle, and very comfortable to use (not too overly soft, and not too overly rigid). I used it a few times (maybe five or six times) and was very happy with it and managed to lather up beautifully, but the last time I used it, I broke into a rash (not immediatly but later in the day) on my neck and head (I shave my head too) and I was very uncomfortable for a few days. Now I don't know if it was due to the brush, but that's about the only thing that had changed in my environment. :confused1

I freaked out, and stopped using it. Can Badger hair give rash? Isn't Badger hair used specifically because it does not give rash? I'm puzzled as it has been used for decades by gentlemen and scoundrels alike.

41XHPD99ZPL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a (fairly gorgeous!) Parker Silvertip Badger shaving brush with a heavy metal handle on Amazon, driven by the great reviews. Cost me close to CAD $100 or USD $75 so this was by no means a cheap brush, I rationalized!

Great build quality, with a certain heft in the handle, and very comfortable to use (not too overly soft, and not too overly rigid). I used it a few times (maybe five or six times) and was very happy with it and managed to lather up beautifully, but the last time I used it, I broke into a rash (not immediatly but later in the day) on my neck and head (I shave my head too) and I was very uncomfortable for a few days. Now I don't know if it was due to the brush, but that's about the only thing that had changed in my environment. :confused1

I freaked out, and stopped using it. Can Badger hair give rash? Isn't Badger hair used specifically because it does not give rash? I'm puzzled as it has been used for decades by gentlemen and scoundrels alike.

View attachment 1032461

I bought mine for 35USD. It is well over a year old and used almost daily without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped using Badgers brushes some time ago.
I couldn't stand even the slightest pricky/scritchy feeling on my face.

The more robust 2 Band use to give me proper rash.

More than likely it's your soap/cream ...

I thought about it, but I had been using Nivea shaving creme for years so I was not sure it could be the cause. Just to be safe, I also stopped using Nivea following my rash (I was getting bored of it also, to be truthful), and started using Bull Dog Shaving Gel and ProRasa for sensitive skins, the latter which I prefer greatly!

View attachment 1032461
It could be the brush, the soap, or the daily shaving.

If the brush is scritchy, it can exfoliate the skin a bit too much. However, given that it's a silvertip badger, it should be fairly soft.

The soap can be allergic to your skin. But given that you used that cream for a long time, that's probably not it.

Another cause is daily shaving. Your skin can grow soft through daily shaving and with exfoliation from the badger brush, could cause your face to glow red/irritated. Experiment and try to hone down the cause of the rash.

Also, it could be the cold weather and your skin not being adjusted to the winter chills.

View attachment 1032461

It could be a lot of things, just a bad shave giving a razor burn, reaction to products, you could have an allergy to badgers the same way that some people are allergic to cats or dogs, and you could have a problem with bacteria or fungus in the brush.
Hair, soap residue and moisture in a bathroom environment can quickly lead to a problem with bacteria or fungus growing in the brush. Maybe try soaking it in alcohol for 30 minutes or so and then wash it with lather before using it.

I thought about it, but I had been using Nivea shaving creme for years so I was not sure it could be the cause. Just to be safe, I also stopped using Nivea following my rash (I was getting bored of it also, to be truthful), and started using Bull Dog Shaving Gel and ProRasa for sensitive skins, the latter which I prefer greatly!
Every now and then do you disinfect your brush ?...If not, you should, and if you are, then are you doing a thorough job of rinsing the brush out in clear water after the Barbicide or Mar-V-Cide bath ??

Every now and then do you disinfect your brush ?...If not, you should, and if you are, then are you doing a thorough job of rinsing the brush out in clear water after the Barbicide or Mar-V-Cide bath ??

Um, to be honest no I did not know there was a need for disinfecting! While I thoroughly rinse, I never disinfected. Is there a simple, cost effective way to do this? Or should I purchase a specialized product? And both synthetic and natural hair brushes have to be disinfected, or the latter?

Excellent suggestion, thanks for pointing that out.

A weak vinegar solution (8 parts water, 1 part white vinegar) will work if you don't have access to a commercial product like Barbicide.

It’s probably not the brush. You mentioned Nivea cream. Do you also use Nivea Post Shave Balm, by any chance? I started using it based on all the glowing reviews on this forum, and it gave me a bad rash on my face and especially my neck.

A weak vinegar solution (8 parts water, 1 part white vinegar) will work if you don't have access to a commercial product like Barbicide.

I have never seen such products in my local pharmacy (CVS equivalent) but maybe I did not pay attention; I'll have a look-see tomorrow! If not I'll rely on Vinegar.

Even synthetic brushes right?

Top Bottom