What's new

Can anything be done to tone down a vicious razor?

I have too many razors, and some are unusable. Too vicious. I bought them from places like Amazon and eBay, and they seemed to be a bargain. Is there any adjustment that can tone down the aggression? I read that a shim can improve an over-mild razor, but how about the other way? I might have to throw them away. I would feel guilty giving them to people new to razors.

I have too many razors, and some are unusable. Too vicious. I bought them from places like Amazon and eBay, and they seemed to be a bargain. Is there any adjustment that can tone down the aggression? I read that a shim can improve an over-mild razor, but how about the other way? I might have to throw them away. I would feel guilty giving them to people new to razors.
Yes, you can indeed use a shim. Place the blade in first, then add shim, or shims on top.

It should help to reduce the blade gap.

Also blade choice may play a role to tone them down, depending on the individual razor.

Yes, you can indeed use a shim. Place the blade in first, then add shim, or shims on top.

Also blade choice may play a role to tone them down, depending on the individual razor.
Thanks. I'll cut shims the width of the cap so that nothing pokes out and scratches me. Does that sound sensible? Is an old credit card too thick?

Thanks. I'll cut shims the width of the cap so that nothing pokes out and scratches me. Does that sound sensible? Is an old credit card too thick?
I use old blades that are knackered. Waste not want not. Cut the edges off to about where the main body of the blade is, so the new edge is nearly flush with the tabs. You can use a sturdy pair of scissors. Be a bit careful. Hold the blade when cutting by one of the tabs. You can use a small set of pliers to hold the tab. They are easily snipped.

Good luck mate!

For me, changing the angle of the shave can help reduce the blade feel and make it smoother. I ride the guard with the blade feel heavy razors and it makes it real smooth for my liking. Riding the cap works too for some people.

I’m confused and have seen others recommend this before. There is no way to reduce the gap on the razor. Gap is between the base and the cutting edge. A shim above this still won’t change that. I agree a shim between the base and blade will increase the gap but the opposite can’t work. Can others try to explain what I’m missing?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I’m confused and have seen others recommend this before. There is no way to reduce the gap on the razor. Gap is between the base and the cutting edge. A shim above this still won’t change that. I agree a shim between the base and blade will increase the gap but the opposite can’t work. Can others try to explain what I’m missing?
Depending on the width of the shim and the head geometry, the top shim can change the curvature of the blade and thus reduce the blade gap. I was sceptical myself but it can and does work, sometimes.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
What sort of razors do you want to tame? Any chance of some Photos to give us an idea?

The idea is to reduce the blade exposure. In terms of geometry, imagine a flat plane drawn between the cap and the guard. That portion of the blade that sticks out from this shave plane is the exposure. When you are shaving, with your face contacting both the cap and guard, this is the part of the blade that you can feel. Note that applying more pressure can also increase the blade exposure.

For many razors, putting one or more shims between the cap and the blade can reduce exposure slightly. How does this work? Basically, by shifting the position of the shave plane relative to the blade, there is less effective (or even negative) blade exposure.

blade-exposure-2.png

Last edited:
There is. Find the right angle and pressure. If not: you get this 👇🏼

57E6ACF9-5CD8-4139-905A-E8AB12961191.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The idea is to reduce the blade exposure. In terms of geometry, imagine a flat plane drawn between the cap and the guard. That portion of the blade that sticks out from this shave plane is the exposure. When you are shaving, with your face contacting both the cap and guard, this is the part of the blade that you can feel. Note that applying more pressure can also increase the blade exposure.

For many razors, putting one or more shims between the cap and the blade can reduce exposure slightly. How does this work? Basically, by shifting the position of the shave plane relative to the blade, there is less effective (or even negative) blade exposure.

View attachment 1440073

Dude, I love your drawing, I think its excellent! But I also have a photo from the same angle of my Rex Ambassador, and would like to share it along with your picture if thats ok, to add to your illustration.

1650017462816.png
proxy.php

View attachment 1440090

View attachment 1440090

View attachment 1440090
Jack, that's easy on flat areas. Not so around the goatee area. In any case, I have nice razors. The ones I'm talking about aren't nice. I'm talking about "Razor, pouch and 5 free blades for £5". When you get it you find it's more suitable for peeling potatoes. Either I fix them or I throw them away. I can't give them to novices.

Jack, that's easy on flat areas. Not so around the goatee area. In any case, I have nice razors. The ones I'm talking about aren't nice. I'm talking about "Razor, pouch and 5 free blades for £5". When you get it you find it's more suitable for peeling potatoes. Either I fix them or I throw them away. I can't give them to novices.
You are absolutely right.

This is a question that required me to buy, examine, test, keep, discard for years. But that was fun...except for the cuts, nicks, weepers etc. I found, for me, that a mild, efficient shave was the best I could ask for. Am I always right in my purchases? No. So that's why I will sell those who do not comply. It's a learning thing and as far as this "hobby" is concerned...ongoing...forever.

Some razors can be downright nasty with the wrong blade. Avoid the Obvious Feather, Kai, BiC and even Vokshod. Take a look at Treet Black Beauty carbon steel blades - too mild to be of any use in some razors, but perfect in difficult razors, especially 30's and older vintage razors. My Old Types, LC & SC's and even my Goodwill give incredibly close, smooth and irritation-free shaves with these blades. Downside is that they're only good for about 3 shaves at most, but they were about $6 per hundred. if you can swallow your pride long enough enough to use these ultra-cheap blades, you'll be happy with the Treet Black Beauties.
You can still boast to your hardcore shaving buddies that you're one tough lug-tug hombre and only use Kai & Feathers.

Top Bottom