What's new

Can anyone tell me what this is? And where to replace it?

Sadly, my significant other dropped this while cleaning, and I can't remember which brush this is. Can anyone tell me what this is? I've owned it for years. The handle is 1.5" high, and the total height is about 3 inches. Thanks for the help. 20200817_130357.jpg
20200817_131706.jpg

Also, would it be worth having someone use the brush in a custom handle? I really like this brush.
20200817_130357.jpg

Last edited:
I figured it out, I think it is a Savile Row 3320, $111 at QED. The knot is in good shape, so am wondering what it would cost to put the knot into a nice handle. Is it something I can do myself, or something I have to pay someone to install? Or would it work just to epoxy the handle back together? (although there would still be a chip in the bottom).

Yeah, I'd put my money on it being a Savile Row 3320. Savile Row came to mind right away upon seeing the text. If you want to put it into a handle like that, you could contact QED Usa to see if you can get it done that way, or ask Bernd at Shavemac to send you a handle that you can put it into, or send it to him. Going with Bernd would get you an exact handle match, minus the font script used on Savile Row brushes. Putting a knot into a handle isn't hard at all. There will be people that will tell you you can glue it back together. You could go with a totally different handle if you wanted and will find several brush turners that could help you. Options are pretty limitless really. I've never had a brush fall and break apart. It could have possibly done something to the knot, but the fact that the knot isn't split in pieces means it likely will be okay. You won't know until you test it. There can be some failure with extracting a knot, but I really don't see that being a problem here as there isn't much holding it into place.

thought that savile row was a shavemac brush, thanks for the confirmation

I believe that Rudy Vey has confirmed it saying he heard it straight from Bernd. Places like to keep their source close to their chest, and I’m fine with that. The curiosity I have for it is if Shavemac does make Savile Row, why is it every brush I’ve had is softer than Shavemac’s own 3-band Silvertip? I forget the number of brushes I’ve had of both over the years, but it’s more than 3 each. I suspect the Savile Row density is a little bit less, but I find it hard to believe I have won the lottery several times over on Savile Row quality and only once for a Shavemac Silvertip that compared in nature to Savile Row softness. I do know I’ve bought more Shavemac out of the two.

Regardless of my curiosity to this, I would agree in all likelihood Shavemac is the maker. Several German brush makers get their handles elsewhere, Bernd has confirmed they sell handles to other makers (Thater being a confirmed getting their handles with Bernd), and out of English brushmakers vs German brushmakers and my experience with dozens of them, I’d have to say it was a German maker for the knot. Add to that the handle issue and I arrive at German. I would imagine if Charles at QED wanted it known he’d just simply say so.

I figured it out, I think it is a Savile Row 3320, $111 at QED. The knot is in good shape, so am wondering what it would cost to put the knot into a nice handle. Is it something I can do myself, or something I have to pay someone to install? Or would it work just to epoxy the handle back together? (although there would still be a chip in the bottom).

You can install the knot yourself. Brush Making and Restorations - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/brush-making-and-restorations.54/ can provide information on removing the knot and installing the knot in the new handle. You can epoxy the thing together as well, but would probably require sanding high spots of epoxy, which might mar the finish.

Hi,

reached out to QED but no answer so far. Where are good sources of replacement custom handle for the 20mm knot from this brush?

Send the pieces to Rudy Vey. I have no doubt he can replicate it and the end product will be better than the original.

Top Bottom