What's new

Can anyone tell me the original bevel angle on the Kampfe Star blades?

I want to try to build a blade honing guide for the old wedge style semi-hollow ground blades like the Kampfe Star. Every one I hone winds up with a different bevel profile, all look narrower (wider edge) than the originals. Would help to know what the original bevel angle was. Anyone know?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am most definitely no help here.... I wonder if @Flintstone65 would be of any assistance? He is NEARLY twice as smart as me, though, sadly, just behind me in the looks department!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thank you, Sir @FarmerTan :lol: Now let me see if I can put those "smarts" to good use. Short answer, I don't know; BUT, I would use an SR blade angle. As a true babe-in-the-woods, semi-serious-noob when it comes to the SR world, I would guess something in the 16 to 19 degrees range. As to keeping the bevel consistent, I guess I'm thinking spine tape (changed often), might aid in that work.

And now that it's painfully apparent that I've tried to sound smarter than I really am, I'm going to "ping" a gentleman who does have experience in this area (i.e., successfully sharpening wedge blades): Mr. @twhite. I'm also going to send a bat single to Mr. @Tanuki -- he has helped start me on the SR path (although I can't say I was a very good student) -- he has also shaved with some very scary vintage blades...so that's something :001_smile. My hope is that these gents may be able to throw some ideas out there.....or at least correct any misinformation that I am inadvertently spreading.

I have sharpened many SE wedge blades. In my experience trying to hold the magic angle is a TPITA. I have the best success by simply using electrical tape on the spine and just going that route. Trying to hold an angle of say 18deg will impact spine thickness. On a straight razor making that thinner only effects the cosmetics. On SE wedge blades you might run into a problem depending on razor. The spine thickness could effect how it holds.

By using the tape method I have been able to save some very worn out blades. Say 40% of blade wear and made it shave-able. Also the more wear on the blade the larger the bevel by default. As the thickness of the blade increases. Now that being said. It would be really cool to have a nice jig to keep it consistent.

It would be really cool to have a nice jig to keep it consistent.
Working on a design for that. Will either use small rollers or a section of ceramic rod to slide along the stones supporting a printed clamp/holder for the blade. Once I get it straight in my head how best to construct it I will give it a go. I have a small honing guide on order that may work with a minor tweak/mod.

Working on a design for that. Will either use small rollers or a section of ceramic rod to slide along the stones supporting a printed clamp/holder for the blade. Once I get it straight in my head how best to construct it I will give it a go. I have a small honing guide on order that may work with a minor tweak/mod.
Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Top Bottom