What's new

Can anyone recommend a good heavy handled razor in the $100-200 range?

After several months of shaving with a safety razor, I'm fairly confident that I'll be doing it for the 50 years or so. As such, I'm considering upgrading my tools.

Currently, I own two razors. The Merkur 34c Heavy Classic, and the Merkur 38c Barber Pole. Of the two, I definitely prefer the Barber Pole. I have large hands, and it's much more comfortable. I could go a bit shorter, but probably not too much. The thickness is about right. Actual weight isn't so important, it's the size of the grip that's an issue for me. As far as the aggressiveness of the head, I don't have much to compre it to, since I think the ones I have are exactly the same in that regard. I feel like I would want it to be about the same as the Merkurs, or maybe just slightly more aggressive. I've never used anything but closed comb, and trying something else would require some persuasion. With the right blade, it cuts easily enough, though I feel like I could get a little closer than I usually do.

Currently I'm considering the Above the Tie Kronos R1, which is supposed to have similar aggression as the Merkur. I think the Colossus might be just a bit much on the handle. I've also thought about one of their combo kits, but I'm not sure it's in the budget at the moment. I'm definitely open to other ideas here though. I would probably prefer a new razor over a vintage one, but I would consider vintage if there's something that fits the bill. Anybody used anything good that fits the description?

Last edited:
+1 on ATT. They have three handle choices and different plates for aggressiveness settings, open comb or safety bar, and slant. If a certain part doesn't work right for you, you can exchange it for another or return it within 30 days. AND they also make a pretty decent razor.

+2 on the ATT. I have both the R2 and the S2 with the Atlas and Kronos handles. The Atlas, for me is a bit short, but nice nonetheless. I think the Kronos is perfect. Good weight and balance. Both heads work well, I think the R may be a bit more efficient while the slant is smoother. Solid razors.

+ something from the ATT range or maybe a Rockwell 6S v2. Both quite a weight. ATT has with it a higher premium as these are machined from 303 grade steel billets.

If you're not in a hurry you could place yourself on a waiting list for a Wolfman as well. They are done in smaller batches. I think ifyou sign up at their site and get on their email list they may tell you when then the next waiting list is open.

You can buy a heavier handle and use it on the many razor heads that it fits on. I used an ATT Kronos handle on all of my vintage razors for over 2 years. I use the original handles now though.

The vintage Gillette Big Boy or Big Fellow are heavy and very close cutting.You can find them at that price often...The Maggard M5 at 20 bucks is really a steal ,heavy and smooth shaving.

Don't be afraid of the ATT Colossus handle. I too have big hands, and I appreciate the extra length and weight of the Colossus. The knurling takes a little getting used to, so pointy you could probably use it to file your way through prison bars, but you definitely don't have to worry about having it slip out of your fingers. The craftsmanship of the ATT more than justifies the cost.

The Maggard Razor MR3 handle has a weight of 100g and is only 20$, might be a good start. Stainless steel too!
The MR8 has 150g, even a heavier dude!

Consider some of the SS handle options, for example Weber, ATT, or you might consider a Wolfman (if you can get on the list)!

After checking out the recommended ones, I believe I'll be going with some form of Above the Tie when I upgrade. I think I'll be going for a brush upgrade first, since I'm having some actual problems in that area, while the Barber Pole remains good enough for the moment. Whatever I do, I'll report back if I have new toys

+ on the Rockwell I really like mine. It's got more adjustment than the ATT (6 gaps vs 3) and is only $100 as opposed to $200 for an ATT.

Go vintage!

Get any vintage razor in user grade, shave and test if it suits you. If so have it replated and enjoy for the rest of your life. :001_cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom