What's new

Can anyone recommend a first Fatip?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have a question: does the Mk1 produce a different noise vs Mk2 when shaving..... is it due to the extra blade exposure? vibration? I just used it w a different blade: Derby....I am more of a Gillette person. Sounds like a Merkur Futur. Shave was OK
Yes, on both counts. There is more audio feedback from the Mk1. It is due to more blade being exsposed with the clamping point a full 1/2mm back eachside compared to the Mk2. This causes the blade to flex causing vibration. It is not as rigidly clamped as the Mk2. The new Fatip Mk2 razors are superior. The Mk1 is more efficient but also more aggressive (prone to bite). It feels more like a Muhle r41 imo. Beaming in @Esox .

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, on both counts. There is more audio feedback from the Mk1. It is due to more blade being exsposed with the clamping point a full 1/2mm back eachside compared to the Mk2. This causes the blade to flex causing vibration. It is not as rigidly clamped as the Mk2. The new Fatip Mk2 razors are superior. The Mk1 is more efficient but also more aggressive (prone to bite). It feels more like a Muhle r41 imo. Beaming in @Esox .

I like the Mk1 much better. Well, at least better. Maybe not too much better.

Thanks for the information. Might try a Kai blade.....maybe a bit more rigid....

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Beaming in @Esox .

Untitled.jpg

I think the Fatip Mk.2 is the perfect DE, even if I dont rarely use DE's anymore. In the end, it comes down to DE blades for me. They're just too thin and too flexible. They just cant compete with the thicker SE blade.

If the Mk.1 Fatip feels more like the R41 I dont think I would have liked it, but I'm sure I could have learned to make it work as well as the Mk.2. With Fatip razors its all in the angle you use them with.

The added blade reveal from the narrower Mk.1 cap would lead to the blade being able to flex easier but it would also allow me to shave even shallower than I can with my Mk.2. This is also what I found interesting with the Piccolo Special Edition razors. All the cap widths I've heard of being measured have been over 19mm wide. My cap is 19mm wide and to me thats perfect. I'm sure I could live with 19.2mm but by the time it got to 19.5mm or more I'm not sure I'd like it as much. I think its a bit of a crap shoot how wide any particular cap will be, who knows how wide Fatips run out error is but the newer caps do seem to be consistently wider. That would make them even more user friendly and forgiving.

If you're asking my opinion Rave, it hasnt changed. I think the Fatip Grande is the best DE made, at any price. Getting the most from it falls to the user.

I have tried the MK1 w 4 different blades now and must admit I really do not like it. Compared to the MK2 and better yet: Schone; this older OC Fatip is just irritating....and not sure it gives me a closer schave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have tried the MK1 w 4 different blades now and must admit I really do not like it. Compared to the MK2 and better yet: Schone; this older OC Fatip is just irritating....and not sure it gives me a closer schave

Hard to beat a Fatip Mk1 (Meme).jpg

I seem to be in the minority.

When I use safety razors I use them in a particular way.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

Always at their design angle (neutral angle) or steeper.

The Mk1 words very well for me at a steep angle, but, like most safety razors, not at a shallow angle. It took me a lot of time and observation to discover this for myself and seems extremely counter intuitive to me.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

The blade may matter, too.

Most every shave now is with a straight razor and the angle could hardly be more shallow.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Recently acquired a mk1 but my mk2 is out for a newbie. Liking the mk1 shaves. Up there with charcoal goods lv3 but possibly a little smoother on the neck.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Recently acquired a mk1 but my mk2 is out for a newbie. Liking the mk1 shaves. Up there with charcoal goods lv3 but possibly a little smoother on the neck.

Probably about as hard to find as the Mk1, but what's the CG lv3 running these days?

I got a NOS Mk1 a few weeks ago (a Grande) from a member on the BST (I think the BST) for $25. Nobody else wanted it (he and I gave others a chance) so it became my second Mk1.

BOSC.2.LogicProfessorBOSC.jpg

Mostly I shave with a straight, but having two Mk1 Grande razors seems prudent to me.

View attachment 999673

I seem to be in the minority.

When I use safety razors I use them in a particular way.

View attachment 999674

Always at their design angle (neutral angle) or steeper.

The Mk1 words very well for me at a steep angle, but, like most safety razors, not at a shallow angle. It took me a lot of time and observation to discover this for myself and seems extremely counter intuitive to me.

View attachment 999675

The blade may matter, too.

Most every shave now is with a straight razor and the angle could hardly be more shallow.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thx, I'll try this blade.....; before I give up and send it to a drawer (w the cheap chinese sisters).

Further experiment: mix and match.
Put the top cap of MK1 on the MK2= shave was OK
Cap of MK@ on MK1= lots of blade feel and unpleasant.

Both cut the same.....w some iriitation....with a wide angle. Didn't use Polsylver yet....that's the next step

Probably about as hard to find as the Mk1, but what's the CG lv3 running these days?

I got a NOS Mk1 a few weeks ago (a Grande) from a member on the BST (I think the BST) for $25. Nobody else wanted it (he and I gave others a chance) so it became my second Mk1.

View attachment 999689

Mostly I shave with a straight, but having two Mk1 Grande razors seems prudent to me.

Also thinking about getting a second one... need my Mk2 back to compare them though. Might just be ok with that one as a back up ;)

Finally got my Mk2 Grande back, decided to load it up with a feather and what an awesome shave it gave me after using the MK1 for the past few weeks. It is noticeably smoother and at least for my skin, I think I prefer the Mk2 overall.

Definitely not letting go of my MK1 though :) I’ll pull it out for special shaves on weekends or vacation maybe when I have more time to be careful.

Finally got my Mk2 Grande back, decided to load it up with a feather and what an awesome shave it gave me after using the MK1 for the past few weeks. It is noticeably smoother and at least for my skin, I think I prefer the Mk2 overall.

Definitely not letting go of my MK1 though :) I’ll pull it out for special shaves on weekends or vacation maybe when I have more time to be careful.
I share your view! and found a Gamechanger OC is even better:117:

Just bought my first Fatip a couple of months ago.....I got the Gentile. I didn't really know what to expect, but it's a great shaver. Very efficient and smooth. It shaves almost as close as my Blackbird at a fraction of the cost. It does leave my neck with slight irritation, but nothing terrible. Still figuring it out I guess.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The GC razors dont have the blade exposure. To get the same level of efficiency you'd need to increase pressure a great deal and we all know how that works....

Pics courtesy of @Cal.

GC .68
RazoRock GC68.png

GC .84
RazoRock GC84.png

Fatip.
FatipGrande.JPG

The difference between the GC razors and the Fatip in my mind would be, the GC would be much easier to use, much less efficient and depending how adept one is at using the Fatip, more comfortable.

Take the time and learn to use a Fatip and the GC wouldnt be able to compete. Either can any other DE in my opinion.

I recently purchased a Fatip Grande, it is possible to massively mis-align the blade deliberately. Its the usual issue of gaps below the pegs. But I find using the method of keeping the head of the razor on a towel, dropping the blade on and then comb plate and tightening on the handle usually aligns the blade just right. Very efficient razor.

Top Bottom