What's new

Can anyone recommend a first Fatip?

I have yet to read build quality and reliability horror stories about Fatip like with Merkur, Muhle, EJ and artisan made razors. No where as bad or as many, yet they cost more and are built poorly.

When I buy a $300 razor that's when I worry about QC and customer service. Not with a $20 razor. You rarely get what you paid for with premium priced goods.

What is the difference in performance and feel between the close and open comb?
The closed comb (gentile) is a little smoother, efficient but not as efficient as the open comb, but that being said i find the open comb very smooth too but i need more hair growth to have an comfortable shave, the newer updated versions of the open combs are less aggressive than the previous versions, the open comb razor i have in my picture is the bokër it's like schone, these razors are similar to the fatip piccolo/grande but i find them a tad smooth maybe a placebo effect, you can't go wrong with any of them to be honest, absolutely love them but like i mentioned before it all depends on how many days of growth you have, not many people mention this but i believe different razors work better depending on if i have 2 days growth and others with more.

What is the difference in performance and feel between the close and open comb?
*typos so i replied again*

The closed comb (gentile) is a little smoother for me, it's efficient but not as efficient as the open comb, but that being said i find the open comb very smooth too but i need more growth to have an comfortable shave, the newer updated versions of the open combs are less aggressive than the previous versions, the open comb razor i have in my picture is the bokër it's like the schone, these razors are similar to the fatip piccolo/grande's but i find them a tad smoother maybe a placebo effect i don't know, you can't go wrong with any of them to be honest, absolutely love them but like i mentioned before it all depends on how many days of growth you have, not many people mention this but i believe different razors work better depending on how much beard growth you have on your face, some razors i can shave daily with where as others i need more beard growth, all our beards are different, so it's all about experimenting & trying what works for you & most importantly what you find comfortable, then there's the different blades you can use in that particular razor, the soap you use etc.. so many variables.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My favorite Fatip?

Hard to beat a Fatip Mk1 (Meme).jpg

I'd been quite used to the more recent Fatip razors - Gentile, Piccolo, Schöne, Plisson - when I acquired my Mk1 Grande (good luck finding one now, but I think the Mk1 Piccolo is available). I'd held off because of talk the Mk1 was "aggressive." To me, aggressive is a very bad term because it's used to mean efficient and it's used to mean prone to biting me.

Is my Mk1 prone to biting me?

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

By the time I bought the Mk1 I had already learned that safety razors work well for me if used at a steep angle or at the design angle (neutral angle). Shallow cap riding is lousy for me. So, I've only used the Mk1 at its design angle or steeper. For me it is not at all prone to biting.

For me the Mk1 is a very efficient and smooth and comfortable and nice razor. Well made, as are all my Fatips (the one exception, a QC issue, was replaced by the vendor; it was a Schöne).

Using the Fatips at the design angle or steeper all the models are great shavers in my experience. They're not only terrific bargains but they're terrific razors.

I don't like the Piccolo handle. I find it too thin. I'm aware I'm in the minority. At the price of the Piccolo who cares.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My favorite Fatip?

View attachment 990690

I'd been quite used to the more recent Fatip razors - Gentile, Piccolo, Schöne, Plisson - when I acquired my Mk1 Grande (good luck finding one now, but I think the Mk1 Piccolo is available). I'd held off because of talk the Mk1 was "aggressive." To me, aggressive is a very bad term because it's used to mean efficient and it's used to mean prone to biting me.

View attachment 990691

By the time I bought the Mk1 I had already learned that safety razors work well for me if used at a steep angle or at the design angle (neutral angle). Shallow cap riding is lousy for me. So, I've only used the Mk1 at its design angle or steeper. For me it is not at all prone to biting.

For me the Mk1 is a very efficient and smooth and comfortable and nice razor. Well made, as are all my Fatips (the one exception, a QC issue, was replaced by the vendor; it was a Schöne).

Using the Fatips at the design angle or steeper all the models are great shavers in my experience. They're not only terrific bargains but they're terrific razors.

I don't like the Piccolo handle. I find it too thin. I'm aware I'm in the minority. At the price of the Piccolo who cares.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Not fair, after i saw this......I had to order one..... I already have 3 fatips and 2 Schones....well: I did a head shave with 3 day stubble w a Gillette adjustable and was a bit irritated....maybe this one will do better. Or maybe I should use my Karve? Now I am like Chucky....w my head spinning

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not fair, after i saw this......I had to order one..... I already have 3 fatips and 2 Schones....well: I did a head shave with 3 day stubble w a Gillette adjustable and was a bit irritated....maybe this one will do better. Or maybe I should use my Karve? Now I am like Chucky....w my head spinning

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have several I'll sell you at twice what I paid. That will make both of us just as happy and one of us twice as happy.

Thanks for the offer Jim but I havent gone off my meds lately. :)
_____

If one reads around about Fatips and the different generations of razors, you'll find information about cap widths. I believe, and @Raven Koenes and several others can correct me if I'm mistaken, but the Mk.1 Fatip had an 18mm wide cap, that was also thicker, along with a differently shaped base that offered the most blade exposure, but also the most blade reveal.

See this thread by @Cal - Fatip Piccolo Mk1 & Mk2 differences.

The Mk.2 offers slightly less blade exposure along with a slightly different shape and a thinner cap. The cap on my Mk.2 Grande is 19mm wide. 1mm less blade reveal lends the blade more support. My nephews Piccolo Special Edition has a cap thats 19.6mm wide.

5f834b51d9f6a7e01b417309829b4747a2c47095.jpg

Less blade reveal equates to more blade stability which equates, at least in part, to a smoother shave. The one possible drawback of that is a smaller window of effective angles. That can be adjusted for with technique. My Grande has the widest window of usable angles than all my other razors, DE and SE, with one exception, the GEM MMOC.

The Mk1 is my daily driver. I use it at neutral angle with most blade ride. Excellent razor.

Try an MMOC. ;)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My favorite Fatip?

View attachment 990690

View attachment 990691

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, This post got me thinking about all my Fatip Mk1 razors. I have both a Grande and Piccolo Mk1 that I've tried. Then I remembered I have two Fatip Retro Mk1's one in Nickel and one in Chrome. I've never shaved with either of them. They have sat there neglected long enough. I pulled out my Fatip Retro Mk1c and it is up for the next two weeks and then my Retro Mk1n. :w00t:
058_25.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, This post got me thinking about all my Fatip Mk1 razors. I have a Grande and Piccolo Mk1's that I've tried. Then I remembered I have two Fatip Retro Mk1's one in Nickel and one in chrome. I've never shaved with either of them. They have sat there neglected long enough. I pulled out my Fatip Retro Mk1c and it is up for the next two weeks and then my Retro Mk1n. :w00t:
View attachment 991132

I love it, Rave.

upload_2019-6-16_14-10-6.png

Where in the world did you find all those Mk1 razors? I did not know they even existed. Amazing collection you have, Mr. Ambassador.

Rave has long been the official ambassador representing BOSC in the halls of Fatip.

Pictures coming, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Alignment in the new stocks isn't an issue anymore, my piccolo and gentile are spot on in that regard. It's a razor I absolutely look forward to use each time.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I love it, Rave.

View attachment 991135

Where in the world did you find all those Mk1 razors? I did not know they even existed. Amazing collection you have, Mr. Ambassador.

Rave has long been the official ambassador representing BOSC in the halls of Fatip.

Pictures coming, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim
It's a long story Jim. I got the Grande Mk1 and Piccolo Mk1 through the German Vendor. I ordered a Fatip Retro Mk2 in Nickel through Smallflower. I decided I needed a Fatip Retro Mk2 in Chrome as well to go with it. I ordered it from Smallflower and instead of the Chrome Mk2 it was a Chrome Mk1 Retro. I then decided to order a Chrome Retro Mk2 through Maggards. I Received a Chrome Retro Mk1 from Maggards as well. I contacted Maggards to exchange it for a Chrome Retro Mk2. They looked and only had Chrome Retro Mk1's. They then put up a notice on their site that they only had nos Chrome Retro Mk1's until they sold out of them before they would order new Mk2 Retros. I then ordered a Chrome Retro Mk2 and received an Mk2 from the Italian Barber. I pif-ed one of my Chrome Retro Mk1 razors and kept the other. I then was gifted a Nickel Retro from Uncas last year in August. It happened to be a Mk1 Retro in Nickel. This was neat because I already had the Nickel Retro Mk2. Notice how much thinner my Mk1 Retro in Nickel handle is compared to my Mk1 Retro in Chrome in the picture below. That is just another Fatip curiosity I have no explanation for.
076_50.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's a long story Jim. I got the Grande Mk1 and Piccolo Mk1 through the German Vendor. I ordered a Fatip Retro Mk2 in Nickel through Smallflower. I decided I needed a Fatip Retro Mk2 in Chrome as well to go with it. I ordered it from Smallflower and instead of the Chrome Mk2 it was a Chrome Mk1 Retro. I then decided to order a Chrome Retro Mk2 through Maggards. I Received a Chrome Retro Mk1 from Maggards as well. I contacted Maggards to exchange it for a Chrome Retro Mk2. They looked and only had Chrome Retro Mk1's. They then put up a notice on their site that they only had nos Chrome Retro Mk1's until they sold out of them before they would order new Mk2 Retros. I then ordered a Chrome Retro Mk2 and received an Mk2 from the Italian Barber. I pif-ed one of my Chrome Retro Mk1 razors and kept the other. I then was gifted a Nickel Retro from Uncas last year in August. It happened to be a Mk1 Retro in Nickel. This was neat because I already had the Nickel Retro Mk2. Notice how much thinner my Mk1 Retro in Nickel handle is compared to my Mk1 Retro in Chrome in the picture below. That is just another Fatip curiosity I have no explanation for.
View attachment 991152

Tips and Tricks by the Master Fatip Collector!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2019-6-25_8-51-5.png

Since nobody bought it (in spite of my efforts to help the member sell it on the BST) I just scored a spare Mk1 Grande NOS.

Lucky me. Lucky grandson, maybe, one day.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Well mine arrived in NY yesterday and will start rolling down south....eager to try it.
I just used my Fatip Retro OC yesterday for head and face shave....it's da bomb....

View attachment 991152
I have a question: does the Mk1 produce a different noise vs Mk2 when shaving..... is it due to the extra blade exposure? vibration? I just used it w a different blade: Derby....I am more of a Gillette person. Sounds like a Merkur Futur. Shave was OK

Top Bottom