What's new

Can anyone recommend a first Fatip?

The Fatip baseplate does indeed work with a variety of M5 caps. My point is that a M5 cap is necessary if you want to try your existing M5 handles out. Fatip thread is M4.5.
Sure. But unlike some other manufacturers we have discussed the stock Fatip razor handles balance perfectly well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Before you purchase a Fatip, I suggest you review this video by Brad Maggard of Maggard Razors. Maggard sells the razors in his shop, but he wants his customers to be well informed. His video review does a good job of representing both the positive and negative aspects of the razors.

+1! Great advice!

I want to try out this Fatip thing, especially since they're not costly. Seems to be a fair number of different models - any suggestion on which one to try? I prefer mid-level aggressiveness, not too mild and not over the top aggressive. As a reference point, I prefer plate R4 on my 6s. Also, smaller is better.
Piccolo

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Gold is nice , but i wonder how long it will last.

Mine still looks as good as they day I opened the box.

img_2056-jpg.822955

img_2053-jpg.822954

B

Barney14

Awful razor, blade alignment is terrible and the build quality is 3rd rate.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Respectfully, I disagree.

I have the range of Fatips. I might fiddle with the blade alignment for a few seconds occasionally. Yes, I'd prefer zero blade alignment issues but one adjusts to the issue and fixing the issue so rapidly it doesn't matter.

upload_2019-6-13_16-52-44.png

I have had QC issues with one Fatip but the vendor replaced it quickly and without charge. Other than that these are spectacularly well made razors in my experience.

Not that anybody has to agree with me on anything.

Happy shaves either way,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I disagree too. All razors that have the same pin type alignment system may need to have the blade adjusted. Even the Merkur 34C.

Blade alignment on mine with the blade as far out of alignment as I could make it. Dont mind the dust. I didnt clean it before taking the pictures.

IMG_2059.JPG

Five seconds later.

IMG_2060.JPG

Gillette NEW SC left. Fatip Grande center. Gillette Regent Tech right.

IMG_2050.jpg

Fatip Grande and my 1916 Gillette Single Ring.

IMG_2601.jpg IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg IMG_2056.jpg IMG_2057.jpg IMG_2055.jpg

There is no other solid Brass razor on the market I'm aware of for the cost of a Fatip. I dont think theres anything third rate about mine and would have been just as happy if it cost twice what it did.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There is no other solid Brass razor on the market I'm aware of for the cost of a Fatip. I dont think theres anything third rate about mine and would have been just as happy if it cost twice what it did.

I have several I'll sell you at twice what I paid. That will make both of us just as happy and one of us twice as happy.

Sorry, Mike, couldn't help it.

But, seriously, this is a public forum. Fatip has people who might read this stuff. Let's mention only how expensive and overpriced the Fatips are until my (in transit) Fatip Slant arrives and is paid for, and yours, too (not in transit because you've not ordered it yet [being a non-believer like Rave] so how could yours be in transit?).

Trust me on this even though I may not make sense. I have an in with Big Nurse. She told me she's on the Fatip Board of Directors (but it's a secret so don't tell Rave).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have more Fatips than I can remember the exact count of right now not counting the ones I have stashed away. The finish equals Merkur. I have a 1980's Fatip where the nickel plating is still all there. I've gifted numerous other Fatips. I've never had one that wouldn't align out of 30+. They are all smooth as can be due to a blade rigid design with good blade exposure and no gap.

B

Barney14

I've been wanting one for ages but I'm worried about the QC.

Have a look at this

I didnt like the Grande at all, it was a version one and was very aggresive, the finish was poor and blade alignment awful, on a positive note the box it came in was lovely, others love them and with all things we all have our own experience and opinion.

I like anything made by Fatip, i think the quality control has got slightly better, most importantly it's a all brass razor which gives me amazing shaves.
20190614_232932.jpg

Top Bottom