What's new

Can anyone recommend a first Fatip?

Before you purchase a Fatip, I suggest you review this video by Brad Maggard of Maggard Razors. Maggard sells the razors in his shop, but he wants his customers to be well informed. His video review does a good job of representing both the positive and negative aspects of the razors.

Great find for anyone looking to purchase a Fatip. Make sure you check this out.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have the range of the Fatips, including the Schöne and the Plisson and the Mk1.

I have gotten one bad razor, a Schöne, but the vendor replaced it without hassle. The alignment issue is a non-issue after a few shaves.

Mondial.Damp.Gentile.Kit.640.4-18.JPG

Based on what you're saying you want I'd advise a Gentile. The Gentile is almost as efficient as the Mk1. The Gentile is the smoothest of all the Fatips. It's a terrific razor and certainly not much different in any negative direction from its brothers and cousins.

Having said that, none of the Fatips are too aggressive. None lack smoothness. They're excellent razors. My favorite is the Grande version of the Mk1, but good luck on finding one.

I don't like the Piccolo handle, but that's just me. It's too thin.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yesterday I shaved with the Grande mk2 after a week of shaving with mk1 and I used it faster and easier than I would use a Gillette Fusion. Amazing razor.

It really is a bit shocking you can use one so easily once you learn it. I've said before I use my Grande faster than I did my Mach 3.

It really is a bit shocking you can use one so easily once you learn it. I've said before I use my Grande faster than I did my Mach 3.

Definitely faster. Nice clean strokes, no clogging, no frequent rinsing, no scrape buffing etc. And at shallower angles I use as much pressure as I want to.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Don't forget the Fatip Woods. Here is my Noce Wood Gentile. To me it has the elegance of the cigar shaped Joris handle but at a quarter of the cost. The woods are weighted and balanced superbly.
rsz_001 (3).jpg

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Definitely faster. Nice clean strokes, no clogging, no frequent rinsing, no scrape buffing etc. And at shallower angles I use as much pressure as I want to.

I'm really surprised by how much pressure I can actually apply. I've always hesitated saying that I can use as much, if not more pressure, than I did using my Mach 3 but I do, even using my MMOC. The difference is how and where on the razors head that pressure is applied. Its applied to the cap not the blade. Using an angle so shallow the blade wont even engage without enough pressure, but the pressure of blade edge to skin is very light.

Its a difficult technique to explain but once that angle/pressure combination is found its easily remembered by feel. Its like the razor has no blade and all I feel is the cap sliding over my skin.

My Grande at the angle I use it with and the pressure required to reach that angle of blade edge to skin.

pressures.JPG

Without applying enough pressure to push the cap into my skin that far, and farther, that angle of blade to skin cant be achieved. Few razors have a design geometry to allow that shallow an angle. The Gillette Old Type comes close, but because it has less blade exposure, maintaining such a shallow angle is a very fine line. Its easier with the thin cap Old than the thick cap Old. Miss the angle slightly and the blade wont cut. More blade reveal/exposure allows a greater range of effective angles.

The shape of the R41 head wont let me use it as shallow as I'd like.

R41-FATIP2.jpg

It would need a thinner cap and/or more blade reveal combined with a higher arch in the curved blade to achieve the same angle of edge to skin. Not to mention the blade isnt nearly as well supported as it is with a Fatip. Thats why I can shave faster and more securely with my Grande than I can my R41.

GEM SE's are even easier because of the design and shape of the heads. They're specifically designed to be used very shallow.

IMG_2730.jpg IMG_2732.jpg

It's easily noticable that the curved head on the Fatip is more streamlined. It's easy to pick an angle that suits you. R41 looks like it's meant to be used more steep.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's easily noticable that the curved head on the Fatip is more streamlined. It's easy to pick an angle that suits you. R41 looks like it's meant to be used more steep.

Yeah I think it is, its in the geometry. I dont like steep angle shaving so much but I have no choice in some areas. Even shaving steeply, the Fatip is far smoother and secure feeling.

I have the Nobile and the Wenge wood. Both are awesome. Connaught is the place to go for Nobiles and the LE Piccolo.

Nice thing about LE piccolo = I can use the extra plate on other Fatips. I really like putting the LE safety bar on my Retro.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Oh, the humanity! For now one will have to suffice. :crying: Honey I bought another Joris...:flowers:......:behead:

Rave, I think one is enough for some people (like me). Speaking of your wife; she and I know you. Everybody knows one won't suffice for The Official BOSC Ambassador to Fatip. She needs to know what you really want for Father's Day, Rave.

Pretending the wooden Fatips are Plissons is heresy, according to my spies in the Vatican.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rave, I think one is enough for some people (like me). Speaking of your wife; she and I know you. Everybody knows one won't suffice for The Official BOSC Ambassador to Fatip. She needs to know what you really want for Father's Day, Rave.

Pretending the wooden Fatips are Plissons is heresy, according to my spies in the Vatican.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Calling the Vatican costs $10/min with the cheapest VOIP. It would be wiser to buy a Joris instead.

Top Bottom