What's new

Can Anyone Lather with Trumper's Eucris?

I have tried every method and brush I can think of and I still can't get a decent lather. This morning I used the "Marco Method." Still no good.

All I can get is this thin lather that disappears before I can get a razor to my face. This is a pity because the scent is awesome.

Thoughts?

I never used the soap but the cream lathers up like the best of them. Have you tried rubbing the wet puck on your face like a shave stick and then face lathering it? It is worth a shot!

I never used the soap but the cream lathers up like the best of them. Have you tried rubbing the wet puck on your face like a shave stick and then face lathering it? It is worth a shot!
Haven't tried that. It is worth the shot!! Thanks.

well, you can soak the puck for a few minutes then work with shaken brush.

generally speaking, it lathers about as well as a stick of butter. however, some guys do report with certain water types making it usable. Mine ended up in the bath.

Yes, I use GFT soaps, for a couple of years ago. I have a puck of Eucris, and a puck of Violet. They are among my favourite soaps.
My puck of Eurcris is down to a small half moon sliver, and will be replaced after the 2018 sabbatical. I use both in "soap of the Month Club" and weekly sessions.

They have a narrow "window" of how much water and at what temperature to use it. Both of my GFT soaps provide great lather, and will be replaced when used up..

When starting a new puck I always hydrate the puck the first dozen or times I use it, afterwards I have found that I do not need to.

1. Dribble some warm water on the puck to hydrate for a few minutes.
2. Put the brush to soak in warm water.
3. Shake out the brush and pour off any water on the puck.
4. Load a lot of product.
5. Begin building the lather in the bowl/scuttle.
6. Finish building the lather on your face. You can feel when the lather turns thick and yogurt-like. I find that using the brush like a paint brush works well for me.

I find that it is a very good soap, but it will take some effort to dial in. I like to use a soap for at least a week straight (or a month), this gives plenty of time to dial in the soap with regards to amount of water, temperatures loading etc.

Yes, I use GFT soaps, for a couple of years ago. I have a puck of Eucris, and a puck of Violet. They are among my favourite soaps.
My puck of Eurcris is down to a small half moon sliver, and will be replaced after the 2018 sabbatical. I use both in "soap of the Month Club" and weekly sessions.

They have a narrow "window" of how much water and at what temperature to use it. Both of my GFT soaps provide great lather, and will be replaced when used up..

When starting a new puck I always hydrate the puck the first dozen or times I use it, afterwards I have found that I do not need to.

1. Dribble some warm water on the puck to hydrate for a few minutes.
2. Put the brush to soak in warm water.
3. Shake out the brush and pour off any water on the puck.
4. Load a lot of product.
5. Begin building the lather in the bowl/scuttle.
6. Finish building the lather on your face. You can feel when the lather turns thick and yogurt-like. I find that using the brush like a paint brush works well for me.

I find that it is a very good soap, but it will take some effort to dial in. I like to use a soap for at least a week straight (or a month), this gives plenty of time to dial in the soap with regards to amount of water, temperatures loading etc.
I'll give it a try. Thank you!

^this is how I use mine.

trumper eucris rooney kai october 3 2017.jpg

just for fun, here is bowl lathering with my Eucris soap.
hydrate beforehand, add water a couple times in the process.
admittedly, lather is not as thick as, say, Mitchell's Wool Fat, but totally acceptable, stable and scented great.

eucris-lather-feb-2018.gif

I tried every method mentioned above and found it to be completely un-shavable useless garbage. I gave my puck away to a very experienced member who also gave it away. I loved the scent and purchased the Eucris Eau de Toilette as well as their Wild Fern. The English scents are top notch but I'm very leery to try any of the three T's soap products after my experience with G.F. Trumper Eucris.

^this is how I use mine.

View attachment 863252
Good to hear! I figured that may work.

I tried every method mentioned above and found it to be completely un-shavable useless garbage. I gave my puck away to a very experienced member who also gave it away. I loved the scent and purchased the Eucris Eau de Toilette as well as their Wild Fern. The English scents are top notch but I'm very leery to try any of the three T's soap products after my experience with G.F. Trumper Eucris.
The cream is very nice and smells fantastic in my opinion. Very good slick and creamy lather that lathers up very easily.

so I put my razor where my mouth is this morning.
the eucris lather was stable, getting thicker as it's worked.
first pass with the straight, then touch up with the cart.

trumper eucris kent art of shaving thiers issard generic cartridge february 26 2018.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I do recall reading a few years ago (I think) about someone complaining about how difficult it was to try to get a soap to lather, only to discover a day or so later, that it was still wrapped in plastic.

Yes, fact is stranger than fiction.

How is your water?
Some soaps and creams are partial to very soft water.

I keep a gallon of distilled water in my shave den, and use that to hydrate/bloom my soaps and soak the brush.
Its the best $1 I ever spent on shaving.

Top Bottom