What's new

Can Anyone Identify This Stone?

It was one of a few I inherited from my great grandfather. My uncle said he remembered him using a couple of them to hone his straight razor. I don’t have the razor.

Attachments

• E56A52E8-C4D9-4185-9BE3-9E4C4EDB0A4F.jpeg
    E56A52E8-C4D9-4185-9BE3-9E4C4EDB0A4F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 52

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Washita. Congrats on having something like that from your grandfather. I'm sure he'd be glad that you have it.

Thanks everyone. I lapped it flat and square but there’s still a lot of oil in the middle of the stone from years of use I figured. I have it soaking in a bowl of denatured alcohol to try and clear it out as best I can. It’s been about an hour and I can already see a little difference.

I won’t use this in any of my razors but I may put it to one of my pocket knives. Shout this be used exclusively with oil or is water ok also?

If you want to try and extract old oil and swarf, the degreaser product called Simple Green is what many feel works best. Place the stone submerged in a tub and let it soak. More time = better results generally. After you pull it out, wrap it in paper towels and place in air tight ziplock for a while and it will also help sweat out any old oil. Repeat cycle as needed.

I always use them with oil. They keep cutting longer and faster that way. Using with water will give you a little finer edge as the stone wears faster without the lubricating effect of oil. The timeline for this wear will be dependent on how much pressure you use and how much time you spend on the stone. For razors it will take a while, for knives it will be pretty quick. So basically, if you intend to use it as a bevel setter, I'd recommend that you stick with oil. If you plan to use it in an intermediate to edge finishing capacity, either-or.

Top Bottom