What's new

Can anyone identify the fountain pen in this cartoon?

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Today I was watching TCM and saw a delightful old cartoon movie called "Mr. Bug Goes to Town." It was released in 1941 just two days before the Pearl Harbor attack. There is a scene with a fountain pen that is very detailed, and I'll bet it is based on a real pen. Here is the video clip: [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TL_qsDeSv8Y[/COLOR]

At first I thought it might be a Parker Duofold "Big Red", but that's a button-filler, not a lever-filler as in the cartoon. I think it's just a generic cartoon lever-filler, flat-top pen from the 1930s. Maybe nothing specific. That nib does look pretty nasty, though. It's repairable, but it's not going to be cheap! :001_rolle

Well, keep in mind that ALL fountain pens were flat tops before Sheaffer released the Balance. So I think Snargle is right, it is an "easy identify as" fountain pen, not an actual brand. But it does bear the most resemblance to a Sheaffer flat top, b/c of the clip. Imo, anyway.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Generic red-orange pen. I've got a bunch of 'em from the 1920's and this old Empire is the closest I could find. Huge pen.

After Parker developed a way to make a durable red-orange hard rubber and sold millions, other companies copied like crazy.

$Empire fountain pen.jpg

Cool. Can anyone recommend a fountain pen book? Something covering more common pens rather than the untouchable ones.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cool. Can anyone recommend a fountain pen book? Something covering more common pens rather than the untouchable ones.

There are many, some are outdated and some try to price pens ... avoid those but they can be helpful.
Here are two great ones:

Fountain Pens of the World, by Andreas Lambrou (my favorite for most pens, coffee table style -- worth every penny)

Fountain Pens Past and Present, by Paul Erano

On the lighter side, Collectible Fountain Pens, by Glen Bowen

For specifics there are Parker books by David Shepherd, Wahl books, etc.
Then there are some repair books.

My favorite: Pelikan Screibgeraete :001_rolle
$schreibgerate.jpg

Top Bottom