What's new

Can anyone ID these Gillette techs?

So Ive got a few tech and was wondering if anyone can please identify them as I find the tech range confusing tbh

Here's a few pics, some have no writing/markings on the base plate,
some have 'gillette' and 'made in England's on them and they have the Gillette logo on the top cap

One is ball end and another is NOS

IMG_20220708_143613.jpg

IMG_20220708_143922.jpg
IMG_20220708_143852.jpg
IMG_20220708_143812.jpg
IMG_20220708_143657.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220708_143937.jpg
    IMG_20220708_143937.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
They are almost all Spiral Techs, having the spiral pattern aluminum handles. They were made from the early 60's to at least the 70's. They are also called Travel Techs. Many were not date stamped, especially British examples. I have 2 without date codes.

I have seen a couple of examples on the bay without any markings. These appear to be military issue. They seemed to have been issued to many Western armies around the world in the 60's to the early 80's it seems.

You have one with date code 4-U. That's a 1974 4th quarter.

You didn't say if the ball end is heavier than the others. It may be an aluminum handle or brass. If it is brass it's a 'Heavy Tech' these come in much weightier, at around 59gms. Most of the spirals are about 30gms.

The NOS example looks to be 70's from the packaging.

Last edited:
They are almost all Spiral Techs, having the spiral pattern aluminum handles. They were made from the early 60's to at least the 70's. They are also called Travel Techs. Many were not date stamped, especially British examples. I have 2 without date codes.

I have seen a couple of examples on the bay without any markings. These appear to be military issue. They seemed to have been issued to many Western armies around the world in the 60's to the early 80's it seems.

You have one with date code 4-U. That's a 1974 4th quarter.

You didn't say if the ball end is heavier than the others. It may be an aluminum handle or brass. If it is brass it's a 'Heavy Tech' these come in much weightier, at around 59gms. Most of the spirals are about 30gms.

The NOS example looks to be 70's from the packaging.
wow cool thanks for replying really appreciate your knowledge

so am i right in thinking from your post that theyre all zamak?

i'll double check the weight of the ball end but pretty sure its light,
either way the ball end is really good condition

btw the NOS tech has 'A' on one side and '1' on the other side at the bottom of the base plate

You are very welcome @saj1985

The top caps were made of zinc after 1962 I think. The baseplate was still brass.

A-1 is either a 1955 1st quarter or a 1980 1st quarter.

The Tech from the Mr Razor site is a 'Sportsman' Alu Tech, I think from 1967-8.

A good way to date NOS razors if they are in blister packs is to see when the blades were on the market if included. I saw the earliest Gillette Super Silver pack from I think 1966.

I think your Gillette Platinum might be a little later, like very early 70's?

Last edited:
You are very welcome @saj1985

The top caps were made of zinc after 1962 I think. The baseplate was still brass.

A-1 is either a 1955 1st quarter or a 1980 1st quarter.

The Tech from the Mr Razor site is a 'Sportsman' Alu Tech, I think from 1967-8.

A good way to date NOS razors if they are in blister packs is to see when the blades were on the market if included. I saw the earliest Gillette Super Silver pack from I think 1966.

I think your Gillette Platinum might be a little later, like very early 70's?
nice thanks for that

how much do these roughly go for in the states? sorry im assuming your from there

which techs you got? you seem clued up about tham

I'm from London @saj1985 :001_smile

I've just picked up some info about them here and there. I like vintage things and history. What everyone used to use.

I've got a couple of yours. Alu Spiral Techs. Both not dated but they are English made. Sweet razors.

Prices are all over the place, but I would use them, they shave good. Great for travel, etc. Use a steep angle with them.

They go great with a Gillette Platinum or similar I find.

I'm from London @saj1985 :001_smile

I've just picked up some info about them here and there. I like vintage things and history. What everyone used to use.

Prices are all over the place, but I would use them, they shave good. Great for travel, etc. Use a steep angle with them.

They go great with a Gillette Platinum or similar I find.
ohh sorry mate, most pople on here are from the states so i just assumed lol

i got four of those techs cheap lol which techs you got?

@saj1985 No worries mate!

I've just got a couple, one was in a travel set. I think late 50's or early 60's.

You still got that PAL razor? It shaves very similar I am finding.

If anything the PAL may have a tiny edge, but I need to do a proper comparison.

Cheers!

@saj1985 No worries mate!

I've just got a couple, one was in a travel set. I think late 50's or early 60's.

You still got that PAL razor? It shaves very similar I am finding.

If anything the PAL may have a tiny edge, but I need to do a proper comparison.

Cheers!
you mean de not injectors right? yea i think ive got one or two pal de razors not tried them out yet

is it the one with pal written on the top cap?

Yes that's the one. Very lightweight with the cool looking handle.View attachment 1484823
how does it compare to the tech? yea got a cool handle

i just saw the pal razors today when i took the pic of the techs lol,
i think ive got two but off the top of my head one of them is damaged
so i should have one comlete razor in good working order

those blades any good mate? any idea what years they were being made?

how does it compare to the tech? yea got a cool handle

i just saw the pal razors today when i took the pic of the techs lol,
i think ive got two but off the top of my head one of them is damaged
so i should have one comlete razor in good working order

those blades any good mate? any idea what years they were being made?
The PAL's were made from about 1947 to the early 60's. They were American Safety Razor co's (ASR) first DE razor. They were sold in the US and the UK and Australia, Canada etc, under the names PAL, STAR and maybe Ever Ready. They went up head to head against the Tech but Gillette marketing and resources meant they were outsold in the end. They put up a good fight though.

It's a sweet shaving little razor.

The PAL's were made from about 1947 to the early 60's. They were American Safety Razor co's (ASR) first DE razor. They were sold in the US and the UK and Australia, Canada etc, under the names PAL, STAR and maybe Ever Ready. They went up head to head against the Tech but Gillette marketing and resources meant they were outsold in the end. They put up a good fight though.

It's a sweet shaving little razor.
ill have to try it out

which blades you tried out in the tech and pal razors?

ill have to try it out

which blades you tried out in the tech and pal razors?
Well I use Platinums and GSB's. I s'pose NACET and BIC'S etc would work great but I never tried them yet.

Feather too I would guess.

Whatever is you favourite 'sharp' blade will be good.

Go pretty steep with them, and they can give you a wicked shave :001_smile

Well I use Platinums and GSB's. I s'pose NACET and BIC'S etc would work great but I never tried them yet.

Feather too I would guess.

Whatever is you favourite 'sharp' blade will be good.

Go pretty steep with them, and they can give you a wicked shave :001_smile
whats your fav razor mate?

i dont mind steep shaving angle, suppose you just figure it out when you do the first few strokes then you just dial in

i like gsb, nacet, bic, feather, polsilver not sur eif ive used the gillette platinums but i got some vintage ones with the gillette g1000 NOS razor i got

this the one im referring too

proxy.php

whats your fav razor mate?

i dont mind steep shaving angle, suppose you just figure it out when you do the first few strokes then you just dial in

i like gsb, nacet, bic, feather, polsilver not sur eif ive used the gillette platinums but i got some vintage ones with the gillette g1000 NOS razor i got

this the one im referring too

proxy.php
TBH there's a lot of razors I'm liking now, not really bumped into one I really don't like. Maybe it's technique getting better.

I'm getting into open combs the fatip Piccollo and the vintages like the Gillette Old & NEW long and short comb. They give an amazing result.

I've been a bit conservative with blades, but I love Personnas, the Platinums and GSB, and I'm really getting into the Super Max Diamond edge, they are a fantastic price for what you get.

TBH there's a lot of razors I'm liking now, not really bumped into one I really don't like. Maybe it's technique getting better.

I'm getting into open combs the fatip Piccollo and the vintages like the Gillette Old & NEW long and short comb. They give an amazing result.

I've been a bit conservative with blades, but I love Personnas, the Platinums and GSB, and I'm really getting into the Super Max Diamond edge, they are a fantastic price for what you get.
yea i love open comb razor too, got the fatip open comb grande, slant piccollo,
ive got the old and new but the handles are a bit rubbish and i want to get another one of each

i could be wrong but i get the impression the new SC is harder to get compared to the new LC

super max bring back memories of when i got a shavette and these super max blades but ended up butchering my head at the age of about 17/18 lol

i had the some of these blades but when i oepened the pack they were all rusted but so dashed them

proxy.php

i like these super max blades nice sharp and smooth but havent used them for ages

proxy.php

Top Bottom